Left Boogie Land and thinking of returniung which to get?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad

Reaction score
Hi all havent been around here in a while.

I dont currently own a Boogie and there aint a lot to talk about when you dont have one. :lol:

Boogies I have owned

Mark I
Mark II
Maverick
Nomad 55
Lonestar Classic
Bass 400
Bass 400 +
M2000

I'm thinking of picking up another Boogie and am not sure which is best for me.

I play Telecasters only and pretty much Play Blues, Rock, and Country. I dont need all the bells and whistles.

Here is what I'm looking for. I want to set the Clean Channel for medium breakup with my Bridge Pickup then flip to Neck (weak) for Cleans. Then be able to step on one pedal for Searing Leads.

Pretty much a two Channel amp is what I need. I do need seperate EQ for Lead and Rythem Tones and would like Reverb Clean but no Reverb in Scream. Also I dont need more than 60 watts any more is just too loud these days.

I'd like to find this in a used Mark Amp. Do I just need to find a good Mark II again. Its been since the early 90's that I had a Mark II last so I dont really remember what the limitations were.

I thought about getting a Mark IV but it does way more than I need and has more power than I need as well.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

hmm...since you're a telecaster guy looking for breakup, I'd usually say go for a lonestar special with the 6l6 tubes (instead of el84 on the classic). However, since you know what the Mark series sounds like, then I'd have to say anything between Mark1-Mark3 in the 60watt option.

But I really suggest you check out the Lonestar Special. It even has switches that allow you to dictate how much wattage each channel gets! For example, 15 watts on one channel and 100 on another. Not so sure if it'll give you searing leads though. The highest gain it gets is probably around mark1 territory.

Exactly which mark2 did you own? The A, B, C, or C+?

Sounds like you'll be needing a mesh grill 4x12 cabinet. :eek:

Hey ! I just happen to have one for sale !! :shock:

Other than that, I agree, a Lonestar Special would be something interesting to try.

Elpelotero said:
hmm...since you're a telecaster guy looking for breakup, I'd usually say go for a lonestar special with the 6l6 tubes (instead of el84 on the classic). However, since you know what the Mark series sounds like, then I'd have to say anything between Mark1-Mark3 in the 60watt option.

But I really suggest you check out the Lonestar Special. It even has switches that allow you to dictate how much wattage each channel gets! For example, 15 watts on one channel and 100 on another. Not so sure if it'll give you searing leads though. The highest gain it gets is probably around mark1 territory.

The LoneStar Classic has 6L6s and the LoneStar Special has EL84s.

phyrexia said:
Elpelotero said:

The LoneStar Classic has 6L6s and the LoneStar Special has EL84s.

That's the one !! :twisted: EL84 tone is to die for :shock:

The only mark series amp with separate controls for the clean and lead channel is the Mark IV. The Mark IV can be ran at 15 watts, maybe even a little less, but as high as 85 watts so it isn't way over your max power rating but can be used at a much lower one; which can sound fantastic if you are able to crank those 15 watts.

I can only comment for the Mark IV as it's the only mark series amp I've owned (besides the Triaxis and Quad preamps). Jumping from a simple amp to something like the Mark IV will probably be hard to swallow at first but it is a good amp that will be able to grow with your needs. Once dialed in the Mark IV sounds great and it also sounds great at bedroom volumes if this is going to be your only amp but you really need to get the tubes and the speaker working to reap the full benefits of the amp's tone.

For me the short head (19" long) coupled with the 112 Thiele EV loaded cab is the best way to go for combining max versatility and enough output for a band in the smallest package as possible. The benefit of this setup is that you seperate the heaviest portions of a guitar amp (the amplifier and the speaker) so your back will probably thank you for this later. If the need arises you won't be underpowered when hooking into a 212 or 412 cab but be sure to set the wattage at the max if you need a big bottom and the extra headroom.

The Mark IV also plays nice with my effects processor (Digitech GSP1101) and is the main reason I am ditching the Triaxis in favor of the Mark IV. The Mark IV combined with the GSP1101 gives me the most versatility and tone out of any other setup I've owned.

Greg

Honestly, the Mark IV will be more than you want if you don't like "Bells & Whistles." I've had 2 and am an amp tech, still couldn't get used to all of the knobs, plus R1 & R2 share EQ's and I hated that.

The best amps that I have found for your types of music that are very simple to use would be:

DC-3 - 35 watts (4 EL84), 2 channels (clean & distortion), footswitchable Graphic EQ (very handy for solo boost), can be found for under $700
DC-5 - Same as above, but 50 watts (2 6L6), same as above, but more of a Fender tone
DC-10 - 100 watts (4 6L6), Clean channel can get very close to my Blackface Pro Reverb with the right tubes

All of the DC's are great amps. The Clean channels can go from sparkly Fender to medium overdrive on the DC-5 & 10.

The Distortion channel can go from mild overdrive to incindiary with the twist of a knob.

I can get everything from Blues, Jazz, Funk, Classic Rock, Modern Rock & even Metal out of mine. I currently have a DC-3 & a DC-10 and love them.

The other amp that you may really like is the Heartbreaker. It has 2 channels, both can be either Clean or Distortion channels, you decide.

I had one a while ago and sold it foolishly when I got my Roadster. A year later, I do not miss the Roadster, but I did end up getting another Heartbreaker.

It is a bit harder to dial in, but is incredibly versatile and warm sounding. This amp seems to thrive in the middle ground between Fender & Boogie. It has a Mark I type channel and a Plexi type channel.

The Reverb is very weak, but I have a mod to remedy that if anybody is interested.

I played an LSS 1x12 last year. I really liked the Cleans, but thought that the Distorted tones left a lot to be desired.

Plus, there was a delay when switching channels that I hated. The channel switched right away, but the Reverb was about 1/2 a second behind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/mesa-boogie-tube-amplifier-DC-3-great-condition_W0QQitemZ320206838174QQihZ011QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's a really good price! :D

If you have a good distortion pedal, the Blue Angel has some of the best Cleans that I've ever heard.

Before I stopped using mine, I used a Fulldrive II or Hot Drive N Boost II in front of it and the tones were incredible.

Sounds like you're not in the Rectifier end of the spectrum, so I'd agree something in the Mark or Lonestar lineage should work for your playing styles. Although, I wouldn't completely rule out a Recto-verb.

While it's true the Mark IV has many bells and whistles, it doesn't mean they all need to be tweaked every time you play. I zeroed in on my favorite playing options pretty quickly (i.e., tubes and modes), so now I'm in the "occasional tweak" mode. I don't find it any more strenuous to adjust my tone now than a typical 2 channel amp. In fact, I find the Boogies with those little toggle switches as least as difficult to dial as the Mark IV (eg.; Lonestar, Express). Having independent tone controls for each channel (except Chs 1&2 share mid and bass) makes it more flexible than the other Marks. (Dual Calibers are similarly configured, and are considerably cheaper than a Mark IV.) And when I'm in the mood to experiment with sounds, the Mark IV covers a very broad spectrum.

I love my Mark II for its voice and attack, but when the family comes home, I switch to the Mark IV which can deliver an incredibly rich and overdriven tone at "homework" volume. It's almost unnatural how great this things sounds at speaking volumes!

I would strongly agree with a quote I read that the Mark IV is the greatest practice amp ever created.

Elpelotero said:

I believe it was a C+. I dont remember exactly beut I believe it had all the Bells and Whistles on it.

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
Sounds like you'll be needing a mesh grill 4x12 cabinet. :eek:

Hey ! I just happen to have one for sale !! :shock:

Other than that, I agree, a Lonestar Special would be something interesting to try.

Thanx. I had one of those cabs and loved it. Would like to have another but need and amp first. Lonstar Special is definatley out.

Nomad said:
Elpelotero said:

I believe it was a C+. I dont remember exactly beut I believe it had all the Bells and Whistles on it.

oof...that's a hard one to replicate without blowing around $3000. The closest things to a C+ without actually getitng a C+ are a red or green stripe mark3, an early mark4, a studio preamp, or a triaxis.

you can get a C+ without everything on it for around $2000.

You've set the bar high with that amp! lol

rabies said:
so what amp made you leave boogies??

Well the last Boogie I had was the Lone Star Classic. While all the features were nice and the tone was amasing I purchased the Amp new and after two months it melted down on me. There was a large hole burnt through the PCB. I took it to a Mesa Boogie servicecenter and was told it couldnt be fixed (to much damage), take it back and get anohther. I did and they did give me anaother Amp. The one I bought origionally was a custom color so GC had to find me another of the same color. They did but when I got the Amp it looked used. After I took it home it malfunctioned several times and I then took it back and got something totally diferent (Hand Wired Marshall).

The Nomad 55 I had had issues as well doing things freaky from time to time so I got rid of it. Had it and the Lone Star at the same time.

That is one reason I would rather have a simpler Amp. To me it seems there more gadgets an amp has the more can go wrong with it.

Elpelotero said:
Nomad said:
Elpelotero said:

oof...that's a hard one to replicate without blowing around $3000. The closest things to a C+ without actually getitng a C+ are a red or green stripe mark3, an early mark4, a studio preamp, or a triaxis.

you can get a C+ without everything on it for around $2000.

You've set the bar high with that amp! lol

I definately aint gonna be spending $2000.00 on an amp. Those days are over.

Right now amps I might consider would be Mark II, Mark III, Mark IV, DC-5, and maybe even consider a Mark I reissue with a Pedal.

I did see a Mark IV used locally for $850.00 . It looked a little ruff but might could be cleaned up. I saw a Mark I reissue on ebay that was very nice looking and in my price range. I also know a guy that has a Mark III he would sell but its been modded a couple times and I'm not crazy about that.

Things I dont like about the following.

Mark I not really two channel amp.

Mark IV way to many bells and whistles, to much power (though you can knock it down), and to big of a footswitch.

Mark III of the ones I've played couldnt get a good solo sound and rythem sound. I could get one of either but not both. That being said I never had one I could spend time with.

I'm not really sure at this point. I would rather have a Mark amp over any of them but want to get the amp that works for me.

Lone Stars and the like are definatley out. 6L6's would be prefered.

Probably the best amp for me would be a 60 watter Mark IIC+ but I'm not gonna spend that kind of money.

Can someone tell me all the diferences in the Mark II's and the Mark III's?

One of the options money wise is to find one that is beat looking and later have it recovered/refinished.

I also should mention for those that may consider what I am and what I play - I have been playing for many many moons (30 + years) and am set in my style of playing and type of music I play.

I mostly play Blues/Blues Rock and occasionally play some Country (when I have to).

I must have luck with amps cause in 30 years of playing I've never had an amp die on me. Especially the Mesa Boogies. I went into a store one day and was talking amps and the guy there was bad mouthing the MK series and I told him my MKIV was built like a tank and never a problem. I don't get it. I must have a horsehoe up my *** or something

Why not go Rectifer? The Tremoverb supposably gets a killer blues tone, and I see more and more country artists using Rectifiers these days.

I think I'd rather have the smallness of the small Mark Combos but I'm just sussing this out as I go.

I only need two sounds a just breaking up sound and a scream sound. verb is a plus with the breaking up sound. With these two sounds and my guitar I can get wide variety of Tones.

Based on your style of music and required features:

DC-5, DC-10, or Tremoverb. The extra watts will not make it that much louder. Where you will notice is in the clean channel dynamics, and either channels' bass response. My 150 watt Coliseum is not much louder than my 75 watt C+ amp. It just has diffferent tonal qualities. :D

Latest posts

Back