Late MarkIIC identification help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

251Dom

Reaction score
Hello everybody

New on the Board, I'm a french Blues guitar player using a Mark IIC combo for about 20 years, just enjoying its GREAT tone and power without even knowing the "legend" it seemed to be...
I read many many posts on the board avidly, and discovered a lot of informations about idenfying them and I thank all of you for the incredible knowledge you shared on this forum !

Mine is a black tolex combo with EVM12".
I recently unrack it to replace tubes that needed to be, and write now this post because I discovered it seems to be a very late IIC with serial number 1225#. It's a HRX chassis with "44" as week number with Pull Deep face plate. It has the "MB" signature at the power chord but with only 2 dots instead of the "+" expected for a IIC+...
It doesn't seem to pass the loop test anyway.

The date engraved on the chassis is 1/24/84 with a "B" signature.
Pream board is a RP11A with a "M" signature.
Power board is a 7C1 with a "R" signature.

See attached pictures for more details I didn't discribe.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0ewpo078e2m16as/AADdkyfPnhRehN4lBR_7n1yFa?dl=0

Can anyone tell me more about it, and wich caps need to be replaced after 30 years of use ?

Thanks for your replies
Regards
Dom

Hey, its a mark IIc for sure. I have both IIc and a IIc+ but not for long. The lead channel on a regular C is terrible to me. And I don't say that because it has less gain the c+ cause my problem with the c is the voicing on the lead channel is too harsh. I highly recommend you get the + on yours. Your blues will sound so much better!

Definitely replace all filter caps. Mesa told me last time I talked I had mine replaced that it needs to be done every 20 years ;-)

The fx loop and the reverb on the + comes after the lead channel so it is useful. On a regular IIC the fx loop is pretty much useless.

I wasn't on the board these days and couldn't take time to thank you for your replies.

After replacing all tubes I find lead channel sounds too medium compared to the clean one?
I think I'm going to replace the filter caps now as you suggested.
I think I can do the job but without a scheme I'm afraid to make a fatal mistake...
I red a post with pictures explaining caps to replace but don't remember on what page it was......
Not even sure it was for a IIC...
Somebody remembers ?

Back