KT88's/66's in triple recto - has anyone tried them out?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollievk

Reaction score
Like some of you know, I'm trying to tighten up my triple recto, last resort thing before I look at a new amp! has anyone tried any tubes from eurotubes at all, they're JJ's!?

I tried the JJ 6L6GC's from eurotubes in my Triple, and while impressive (and "tighter") I find I prefer the Ruby 6L6GC-MSTR (same as Mesa 440). The KT66 is a more "hi-fi" 6L6, and the KT77 is like a EL-34 with some 6L6 characteristics (more linear, bigger lows).

The KT88 is a whopper of a tube for sure, but I dont think I'd risk it in a Triple. Bob @ eurotubes says it will work, but internet horror stories abound (FWIW) about transformer problems due to the high current demands of the KT88. There is also a fit issue...the KT88s are huge tubes and will be almost touching eachother in a Triple (not an issue in the Dual) which could possibly cause heat-related problems.

That said, I do like the JJ hi-gain ECC-83s in the preamp (V2, V3, and PI) and the GZ34/5AR4 rectifier tubes, and have had good transactions and customer service from eurotubes in the past.

If you want to try different tubes, I think I would try the KT77s (run in EL34 mode), but if you want it really tight, turn the Output up and boost with an OD pedal or better yet an EQ pedal. Possibly look at different speakers as well...way more "bang-for-the-buck" than any tube swap.

Truth of the matter is however, for ultra-tight the Recto might not be the amp for you.

you know your **** man! fair, i think i'm coming to the sad truth that the amp isn't the amp for the sound i'm looking for :( I play a lot of picking stuff, a lot of rhythmic stuff and it just sounds a bit too messy.

Yeh i'm running the od808 through it

Just read through your other thread. If you're looking for "Black Album" tones, I think you can get really close with the Triple. No doubt in my mind the Mark 4 would be the perfect amp for you, but you might want to try a few things before taking the financial asswhipping of buying yet another Mesa in the UK.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=16899&highlight=marktifier

If you can lay your hands on an EQ pedal, try this before you give up on the Recto

ollievk said:
you know your sh!t man! fair, i think i'm coming to the sad truth that the amp isn't the amp for the sound i'm looking for :( I play a lot of picking stuff, a lot of rhythmic stuff and it just sounds a bit too messy.

Yeh i'm running the od808 through it

try out the kt77s.... they stay nice and tight which i find great for single not picking.... i've also heard great things about the kt66s which i want to try out soon

i think noclass hit on a great point.... changing your speakers and or cabinet makes the most drastic difference aside from changing pickups.... my recent adventures in swapping out cabs has really opened my eyes to the difference different cabs can have on tone while keeping everything the same..... i've found my basson one of the best cabs for single picking... thats compared to a mesa halfback and my new diezel.... even with the mdf (which tends not to add any color) the cab is just super tight and full..... so you may want to looking into a cab change

Latest posts

Back