kt88 on a single rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimebag

Reaction score
hi guys,i'm sorry if you had discuss of this but i didn't find what i need with the serach button.
so,i've a single rectifier first version,it hasn't the 6l6-el34 switch,what i will obtaining using a kt88 on my single?could break something?
thanks

I believe the kt88 is a replacement for the 6550 which is a replacement for the 6l6. Maybe someone can elaborate a bit more.
I cant say for sure that its safe to work in your amp or not.
I can say,, whatever you do, you must have whatever tubes you buy graded correctly to work safely in a boogie amp. If you havent done this with your kt88's I wouldnt use them.

KT88s generally bias a lot like 6L6s, but they require a lot more filament current. Unless the amp is speced as being able to take EL34s (which have current requirements similar to KT88s and 6550s), it's not a good idea without verifying (from Mesa, probably) that the power transformer can take it.

Hi everybody, this is my first post in this forum...
can you please help me with a tech question? I bought a used Mesa single rectifier solo head and the low end is pure mud, I can’t dial in more than half gain in the vintage mode. If I use the modern mode or higher gain even in the vintage mode, I can’t distinguish the tones played on the fat strings clearly. My tuning is -1,5 notes (Cis) and I do use an Ibanez RG 1570 Prestige with the original V7 and V8 humbuckers and 009-046 strings, which worked fine with my previous tube amp (Bugera 6262). I need more and clearer high gain since I need the amp for modern-ish metal. I don’t know the age of the amp, a sticker on the back says only, that the power tubes were changed back in 2006 (for original mesa 6L6). The amp itself works and doesn’t seem to be broken (besides that the EQ knobs in the 2. channel don’t seem to work properly because they affect the sound very very little, hmmm).
I do desperately need more clarity and gain for palm muted stuff and want to ask: shall I buy a new pair of Mesa 6L6´s? Or is it the preamp tubes, or is it both preamp and power tubes? Shall I try the KT88? Will it help? If yes, do I have to set the amp in EL34 or 6L6 mode? I am planning to buy a set of SD blackouts sahb-3 EMTY and use an additional OD in front of the amp to give it more compression / to tighten the sound up but before that I need to deal with the amp itself. What are the suggestions???
Thanx in advance for any ideas/help.
Greetz
laokoon
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

One day I´d like to have a sound like this guy with his dual rectifier who describes precisely his setup, but now i´m not even close http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_61tE7aTwU

Don't install KT88s, your amp wasn't built for them.

Try these things first.

Turn down the Bass to 9o'clock, Mids to 1o'clock, Treble to 2o'clock, Presence above noon
Put an EQ pedal in the loop, don't cut the mids
Put an OD pedal in front of the amp, right after your guitar, Volume High, Gain low to mid, Tone controls in the middle.

This will cure 90% of you Recifier problems.

Good luck.

Back