Kt77 or EL34's in Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I have a Roadster head and currently use SED Winged C 6l6's. Love them and the Roadster. My band is currently playing more mid gain danceable music, so I really don't need the big thunderous tone I usually have. Would my tone benefit more from running EL34's or KT77's instead of 6L6's? or would it really not make much of a difference. I have Doug Aldrich pickups if that helps at all. They are a bit dark sounding to me and it almost seems like there is a "blanket" on my amp that needs to be lifted. Should I consider different pickups in my guitar also?
I am not a Marshall guy and would not buy one, but the other guitar player uses one and he has a great clear,crunchy tone.

Thanks

jhguitar1 said:
I have a Roadster head and currently use SED Winged C 6l6's. Love them and the Roadster. My band is currently playing more mid gain danceable music, so I really don't need the big thunderous tone I usually have. Would my tone benefit more from running EL34's or KT77's instead of 6L6's? or would it really not make much of a difference. I have Doug Aldrich pickups if that helps at all. They are a bit dark sounding to me and it almost seems like there is a "blanket" on my amp that needs to be lifted. Should I consider different pickups in my guitar also?
I am not a Marshall guy and would not buy one, but the other guitar player uses one and he has a great clear,crunchy tone.

Thanks

Hmmm, I wonder if you could run KT66s in yours. Might be what you want...

I took the "blanket" off my Triple months ago by flipping the bias switch to EL34........still using 6L6's though.

Mine's been doing it for months now. Just don't use diodes or it will burn the tubes up in short order. I run tube rectifiers, EL34 bias and Bold settings. I can get that sucker sounding and feeling so tight that everyone that plays it swears it's set to silicon diodes.

R_ADKINS80 said:
Mine's been doing it for months now. Just don't use diodes or it will burn the tubes up in short order. I run tube rectifiers, EL34 bias and Bold settings. I can get that sucker sounding and feeling so tight that everyone that plays it swears it's set to silicon diodes.

Whew!!.....Well I was tempted to ask you "what shade of glowing orange do those 6L6's look best with?" until you added this last post.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with that! :D

I use EL34s and I think they sound great in the Roadster

i just put some ruby el34s in the roadster and wow!! better smoother tones vs the original mesa 440str 6l6 for sure! no more fuzziness

Can someone recommend me good EL34 tubes to try? I currently use the SED Winged C's 6L6's. I need a more crisp rhythm and a smoother solo tone.

Doug from Doug's Tubes recommended the Ruby EL34BSTR's. Has anyone heard both the Ruby's & SED's?

Latest posts

Back