KT-66's & JJ High Gain 12AX7's in a 2 channel DR!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Holy **** Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just put in a set of JJ High Gain 12AX7's, GZ34's, & a quad of KT-66's in my Rev F 2 channel Dual Rectifier.
I also installed a bias pot!
Plates are at 450 vdc and the bias is set at -31.5 ma.

I can't believe the difference in tones that are available now!!!!!!!!

Cleans are very warm and articulate now, instead of just punchy and the ice pick has disappeared altogether.
I now have tons of sustain on the orange channel as well!

The Red channel is just more....Fucking KILLER!!!!!!!!!!
I can hear every note now. It even cleans up nicely with the guitar's volume rolled off!

This is how I remembered my old 2 channel DR sounding!!!!!!!!!

I had 3 JJ 12AX7's and 2 SPAX7's, stock 5U4's, and properly biased JJ E34L's before and it just sounded mediocre.

It's all high gain except for V4, which I believe is the Loop.
The P.I. (V5) is ballanced high gain. I'm still on the fence about the whole 'Ballanced P.I.' thing.
The circuit is intentionally mis-ballanced to provide a more full sound.
I wonder if using a ballanced P.I. simply makes the circuit sound the way it was intended or is just a great selling point?

I noticed on my DC's and Mark IV's (when I had them) that the HG set really made a huge difference in the clean channel's tone.

I've been preaching for years that high gain JJ ECC83's are the best tubes I've ever used in Rectos. The cleans sound better, note articulation is great, etc. It's all I've used exclusively in the preamp of my Rectos for 5+ years now. I think some people think they're "muddy" because they're a little darker than some other tubes and they're used to the amp sounding more bright and brittle. They're anything but muddy IMO.

I think a lot of that perception was spread by Doug over at Doug's Tubes, which is ridiculous. I think he's got this little war going on with Bob at Eurotubes, so he started telling everyone "Oh, JJ's...they're muddy! Don't use them in all the slots!" And of course, perception is reality. He tells a few people that, they start repeating it on the internet, and people start to take it as fact.

I'm with you...high gain JJ's FTW in Rectos. And be sure to get higher gain versions. They do sound better than the standards IMO.

+1 for JJ's in the preamp of a Recto. I just retubed my Recto Recording Preamp. I tried a Tung-sol reissue in V1 and V2, which are the inputs for channels 1 and 2 (the preamp is a little strange. V2B is the input for channel 2, V1A is the input for channel 1 and V1B/V2A are the second and third gain stages for channel 1). The Tung-sol sounded awful. I put in some high gain JJs and the amp now has a great sound. I am not using JJ 6L6s in the 2:100. I use TADs 6L6GC-STRs, which are great.

I'm about to retube my new recto, these old 6L6's just aren't cuttin' it. I was planning on using the same tubes I had in my old one (Mesa 5U4GB's, EL-34's, and SPAX7's), but I think I might try these high gain JJ's out. Anyone have any suggestions for a whole set?

jtxdriggers said:
I'm about to retube my new recto, these old 6L6's just aren't cuttin' it. I was planning on using the same tubes I had in my old one (Mesa 5U4GB's, EL-34's, and SPAX7's), but I think I might try these high gain JJ's out. Anyone have any suggestions for a whole set?

I only use them in my preamp at the moment. Bob at Eurotubes has a kit that's high gain JJ ECC83's in V1 - V3, a standard in V4, and balanced for V5. As long as you get high gains for V1 - V3, you're good to go. I typically just call up Bob and get the high gain front end he has because it's easy instead of picking out 5 specific tubes. Plus he ships quick and I've had good success with him (so far), though I've heard horror stories from others. You can also get them from Doug's Tubes.

FWIW, I tried standard JJs in my RoV combo a while back and they were harsh. I did not like them. Maybe the high gains are the key...

Silverwulf said:
I only use them in my preamp at the moment. Bob at Eurotubes has a kit that's high gain JJ ECC83's in V1 - V3, a standard in V4, and balanced for V5. As long as you get high gains for V1 - V3, you're good to go. I typically just call up Bob and get the high gain front end he has because it's easy instead of picking out 5 specific tubes. Plus he ships quick and I've had good success with him (so far), though I've heard horror stories from others. You can also get them from Doug's Tubes.

Maybe I'll get the high gain preamp tubes for V1-V3, and use the same tubes I used to have for everything else. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back