killswitch engage settings anyone??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saxxamafone said:
Elixir said:
they have presence completely cut out? hmm

i tried that and it sounded like crap
maybe i have to turn up a bit..

yeah i couldn't imagine that, i think maybe the pic was taken before they dialed it in completely?

Ummmm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything because heck I want a recto as well and I'll be looking to get their tone too. In the new guitar world (August Issue) Adam D. mentions that live he is using Splawn Nitros and Joel is using a combo of the Nitro and I think 2 other amps (I'll get the names of those when I get a chance). Also in the July issue they talk about how many different amps they used for the new album and I remember orange and bogner being some of those amps. According to them they wanted to go in a different direction tone wise than As Daylight Dies and End of Heartache which they said had very similar tones. Check out their myspace if you haven't already, they have 2 new songs up and the tones are different but not out of reach for a mesa imho.

Dave

katsumura78 said:
Ummmm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything because heck I want a recto as well and I'll be looking to get their tone too. In the new guitar world (August Issue) Adam D. mentions that live he is using Splawn Nitros and Joel is using a combo of the Nitro and I think 2 other amps (I'll get the names of those when I get a chance). Also in the July issue they talk about how many different amps they used for the new album and I remember orange and bogner being some of those amps. According to them they wanted to go in a different direction tone wise than As Daylight Dies and End of Heartache which they said had very similar tones. Check out their myspace if you haven't already, they have 2 new songs up and the tones are different but not out of reach for a mesa imho.

Dave

what's your point?
everyone already knows they can pull pretty much the same tone from a number of different amps... mostly because they boost them all in the same way i would think.

for the record, i'm not chasing their tone as such. Just interested in what they were doing when using rectos

cheers

saxxamafone said:
katsumura78 said:

Dave

what's your point?
everyone already knows they can pull pretty much the same tone from a number of different amps... mostly because they boost them all in the same way i would think.

for the record, i'm not chasing their tone as such. Just interested in what they were doing when using rectos

cheers

My point is they have used many different amps in the past and even now. In my last sentence I also mentioned that a mesa should be able to do those tones without any problems. Some of the amp companies mentioned use EL34s as well so thats another thing to think about. Didn't think posting a bit of info on this " killswitch engage settings anyone??" topic was a crime *sigh*....

Dave

In the Jesse days all they used were the Rectos. Vids all over YouTube and you can clearly see them. Great sound, too. Big reason I got a Recto in the first place.

katsumura78 said:
saxxamafone said:
katsumura78 said:

Dave

what's your point?

cheers

My point is they have used many different amps in the past and even now. In my last sentence I also mentioned that a mesa should be able to do those tones without any problems. Some of the amp companies mentioned use EL34s as well so thats another thing to think about. Didn't think posting a bit of info on this " killswitch engage settings anyone??" topic was a crime *sigh*....

Dave

lol :lol:
i wasn't havin a go at ya

8)

It's all good. A lot of times its very hard to tell what someone might mean just reading something on a forum or the internet in general. Glad thats cleared up. Just to keep this thing going. Has anyone ever tried EL34s in a triple recto ? What did you think.

a splawn nitro is splawns attempt to capture the Recto market, if you want a good review I would ask silverwolf, I know he has had one and did a side by side i am pretty sure.

katsumura78 said:
It's all good. A lot of times its very hard to tell what someone might mean just reading something on a forum or the internet in general. Glad thats cleared up. Just to keep this thing going. Has anyone ever tried EL34s in a triple recto ? What did you think.

I had them in my Dual Recto when I got the matching Mesa cab. Sounded like doodoo. Not enough low end. Nice mids though.

katsumura78 said:

Dave

August issue? Didn't they just recently get officially backed by Mesa? I know I've seen videos of them using the Roadster.

Yes they did get officially backed by Mesa, but stopped using thier amps. However they have always used Mesa 4x12 cabs.

Yeah check out the august issue of guitar world. They mention what they are bringing on tour with them gear wise. Like fluff said they are still using the mesa 4x12s.

siggy14 said:
a splawn nitro is splawns attempt to capture the Recto market, if you want a good review I would ask silverwolf, I know he has had one and did a side by side i am pretty sure.

I didn't like it. Without getting too in-depth, the mid focus was still too high for me and it didn't differentiate itself enough from the Quick Rod. The amount of sub-lows was completely annoying in the amp. It went from too thin to too overpowering on the low end with a slight bump. The Resonance control was pretty useless, dimed or shut off - there wasn't enough variance for me to even understand why the knob was on there.

It basically does one sound, and for that type of sound, I prefer the Recto hands down...obviously, as I still have Rectos around and the Nitro is long gone.

It says they are using Nitro's as well as a Fuchs Viper (Stroetzel). I think the 6L6's in a Recto get you closer than EL34's personally. I'll have to try those settings from that pic. They are a bit different than the JP settings I've been using.

I hope the new album doesn't completely suck...

The new record definitely has some of the best guitar playing they've ever done. It's definitely different and there are a couple of songs that I think are pretty bad...but it has some slammin' tunes on it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq8A...ad.php?t=41078&page=2&feature=player_embedded

As far as their tone, EL34's all the way. The End Of Heartache and As Daylight Dies was largely Framus Cobra and Dragons which are loaded with EL34's. I had a Cobra and it slayed. I remember hearing from someone at the ESP board who talked to Adam D that they ran EL34's in their Recto's as well. The new album is all Splawn Nitro with KT88's and VH4.

Back