Keeley Mods worth the money?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF: You are playing a clean amp like a Dr. Z or a Fender Deluxe or Carr or Bad Cat or (Insert clean amp here)
And: You get to play at a reasonable volume to get the power section thumping.
Then: Yes, Keely Mods are where it's at for modded pedals.
If you are using them (Pedals) to tighten up your Recto or boost your Ubershall, I would try stock first then look for used stuff that has been modded.

Keep in mind that most of the modded pedals that Keeley sells were originally made with semi-crappy parts. After all, the name of the game is "economies of scale". And crap equals limited bandwidth and/or noise. I have 2 Keeley pedals (TS-9 mod plus and DS-1) and they are my go to boxes. Yes, that's right, I play a MkIII and use an OD AND a distortion box in front of it. And if I put them in front of my Fender Twin, it's magic. The original versions were tone suckers and noisy. Keeley made them pro-grade and reliable. I absolutely love them both and highly recommend them to everyone that will listen.

Oh, and their people are amazingly nice, cool, and responsive. Heck, even their VP responded to my email. Try that at Boss or Ibanez.

I had my TS-808 modded by Robert Keeley and prior to the mod, I didn't use it much at all. I had it just to have it. I used it mostly to boost so after the mod I wasn't impressed at all but the true bypass and blue LED are cool though. If you use a tube screamer a lot then maybe it's worth it but if you use it to boost a OD channel than IMO don't waste your money. I'd go as far to say that all of Keeleys pedals and mods are waaaay overpriced and overrated. He makes quality products but charges too much. Most of his mods can be done yourself (for a few bucks) with a little research and a soldiering iron and they can be fun too. Save your money and buy a pedal that you think is good enough from the factory.

Keeley modded my SD-1, and it is a totally different pedal - in a good way. The pedal is has more range of overdrive, and the overdrive is more focused. And there's a lot more overdrive on tap now.

My Boss GE-7 works very well on clean settings but is a bit noisy on the distorted channels; so I'm gonna get it modded next. Keeley doesn't do GE-7's though. I may have somebody do the Monte Allums mods as I've heard good things about them. Analogman does some good work too.

If I could do the work myself, I would, saving myself @ $50. :?

I have a Tube Screamer TS9DX with the "Mod Plus" Keeley modification, and a BOSS DS1 "Ultra Mod". Both pedals are amazing. I used the TS9DX to boost a Stiletto Deuce Stage II head and the tone...... OMG!!!! :D

Back