just tried mxr 10 band with my triple rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_moreira

Reaction score
Yep. I just got the MXR 10 band EQ to try out with my three channel triple recto, and I gotta say Im very pleased. While used in front of the amp, I was happy with the variations in tone that I could get, but it didnt blow me away. However, it REALLY shines in the loop. In the loop, the head is very sensitive to even slight eq adjustments, and you can definitely change the voicing of the amp dramatically in many different directions. The response is just much greater in the loop, and thats where Im gonna keep it.

For me....I wanted to tame the harshness of the head(especially the fizzy sound), and make it sound a little less "edgy", and dial in a fatter sound that sings, and cuts through the mix better. I found very easy to do with this EQ, and given the fact that it only took me all of five minutes to tweak it in a way that pleased me.....Im sure over time I will be even happier with it as I get some miles on it while working with my band.

FYI although I prefer this piece used in the loop.....when used out front it can be used very much like an OD pedal(when used as a clean boost). And, its more flexible than your typical OD because you have more control over just what frequencies you boost hard, and which ones you cut to get out the mud.

Also, my head is all stock with the stock loop(return set 100% wet).

Cool mate, I'm glad you posted this because I'm getting one for my Dual rec and am interested in people's experiences with em.

I think these should be a manditory purchase for every Rectifier! :wink:

for that matter.....it should be mandatory for basically any amp. Especially any amp that has a good loop. Unless you get real lucky, its hard to assume that any one single amp absolutely nails the perfect tone that you might be looking for all by itself. And although I am a minimalist when it comes to effects.....I still have tried out plenty. And at least in my own experience, this particular effect offers the most flexibility overall. As long as you do like the basic tonal qualities of your amp, you can bend and shape it just right with this EQ. I just wish I woulda tried it sooner.

greg_moreira said:
for that matter.....it should be mandatory for basically any amp. Especially any amp that has a good loop. Unless you get real lucky, its hard to assume that any one single amp absolutely nails the perfect tone that you might be looking for all by itself.
I use an Allums modded GE-7 in the loop of my stiletto. Loop set to normal. I have the EQ set with 100hz +2db and 200hz +1.5db. All it needed. Huge difference.

steeldragonjovi said:
I see that you used the MXR to remove the fuzz from the amp. Did it work well?

Yes, it works well. Before the addition of the MXR, I started using a maxon od808 in front of the amp. this did great things to tighten the amp up and really brings out harmonics too.....but added a hair more fuzz yet. The MXR eq in the loop does a great job at removing this fuzz at almost any volume level with the highest frequencies pulled out just a little. And between the 1 and 4 K(frequencies), I boost these a little to get a bit of extra mid to upper mid. Makes for a nice cutting sound without overbearing top end or fuzz.

Just gigged last night for the first time since getting this thing, and Im liking it more and more(hopefully i get more miles on it soon, but the band has been unusually busy, and therefore slow with the hustle of the holidays).

greg_moreira said:
steeldragonjovi said:
I see that you used the MXR to remove the fuzz from the amp. Did it work well?

Yes, it works well. Before the addition of the MXR, I started using a maxon od808 in front of the amp. this did great things to tighten the amp up and really brings out harmonics too.....but added a hair more fuzz yet. The MXR eq in the loop does a great job at removing this fuzz at almost any volume level with the highest frequencies pulled out just a little. And between the 1 and 4 K(frequencies), I boost these a little to get a bit of extra mid to upper mid. Makes for a nice cutting sound without overbearing top end or fuzz.

Just gigged last night for the first time since getting this thing, and Im liking it more and more(hopefully i get more miles on it soon, but the band has been unusually busy, and therefore slow with the hustle of the holidays).
So now are you using the 808 in front and the MXR in the loop? Or just the MXR?

OK, I was so impressed by this topic I found myself a used MXR 10 Band EQ on kijiji and picked it up today. I hooked it up and wow is it ever super sensitive. But right off the bat I lose half of my volume, if I try to turn up either the volume or gain on the MXR it howls at anything above 0. I've got the Return set to 100% wet, the Send @ about 9 o'clock and the Assign set to FTSW

Anybody else get this? I seem to be having some difficulties taming this.

Also the unit only came with a 9V adapter instead of the 18V adapter, how much trouble am I going to get if I use the 9V. Long term I'll pick up a 18V but for the time being I'll just use the 9V.

thx

Interesting that was my first thought as well, though the guy I bought it from said he's always used a 9V adapter and never had an issue. I've checked out some other guitar forums and seen 1 or 2 similiar situations where guys were using the 9V with no issues. Now I'll have to get the 18V just to flush this out.

EDIT: it was definately the 9V adapter, I picked up a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus and now it works great. Definately helps to both tame the fizz and clean up the mud. I still love the pure recto tone, but this gives me a few extra options.

Ill try an answer all questions ive gotten in this post to this point.

Yes I use both the MXR in the loop, and still the od 808 out front. They serve two different functions, with the OD getting a hotter signal to the front end. I get a tighter sound, and the harmonics really come out better.

Then, the EQ in the loop to shape the mids a little better and tame the fuzz. I usually just cut out a few decibels on the 16k band, and this does a good job at taming the fuzzy, harsh sounds. I slightly boost 1k, 2 and 4k(with 2k being boosted the most). keep in mind..these are very slight changes....just a couple/few decibals boost on those mids, and I get a little more dramatic with the 16k cut(16k isnt a super important guitar frequency) but still nothing crazy. My leads jump out, and rhythm has good cut also.

On the 3rd channel modern mode on the amp itself......i run the treble around 1 or 2 oclock, with the presense almost off. Probably 9 oclock at best. Mids cranked pretty high at 3 oclock and adjust bass to taste(noonish for me). Gain a hair below noon, and Im usually using some fairly hot humbuckers(duncan JB or custom custom)

OD pedal with the balance around 2 ocklock, tone between 9 and noon, and drive off.

Of course the EQ settings set as above. I run the return on the loop 100% wet, and set the send level at noon. As a whole, this isnt a metal tone....so some tweaking is in order for that, but its doable. This is a pretty hot rodded sound thats still gain heavy and tight id say.....but not quite metal.

To the other poster having the volume issues....I experience no volume drop this way with the loop on, whether I have effects in the loop or not. One thing to note about the loop.....once its activated the amp becomes a master volume amp, so you have to incorporate the output knob on the amp to set volume. the individual channel volumes by themselves dont do the trick alone

I've used a stock GE-7 in the loop of my triple rec and couldn't find a use for it. It really didn't improve the sound or do anything I couldn't do with the amp eq. Is the MXR that much better for the amp?

for sure I say it is. I havent tried that boss, but the MXR is so much more sensitive than the EQ knobs on the amp. Unless you are completely satisfied with the amp just the way it is.....I cant imagine that you wont be able to find some good settings with this thing, because you can go anywhere from just mild tweaks....to dramatic changes. waaay more dramatic than just the amp controls can do on their own. Not that Im reccomending to go and do something drastic......but you sure can.

Latest posts

Back