Just retubed the mark iv

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wads3

Reaction score
v-1 svetlana
v-2 svetlana
v-3 tung sol
v-4 tung sol
v-5 electro harmonix
sed winged =c= el 34's and 6l6's

What a difference from the JJ's. It sounds like a monster now!

:twisted:

wads3 said:
v-1 svetlana
v-2 svetlana
v-3 tung sol
v-4 tung sol
v-5 electro harmonix

+1

How do you like the SED EL34s?

For my mark IV I tried a ton of tube combinations with new tubes. I tried 4 Sylvania 6L6's, 2 Sylvania 6L6's and 2 Seimens, 4 Sovtek 6L6WXT's, SED 6L6's and EL-34's etc etc. I ended up with 4 SED 6L6's.

I like them. I think they give it a little more crunch.... I think the biggest thing was just getting the JJ's out of there.

I am assuming your amp came to life a bit with some brightness that the JJ's were squashing.

Yes , it did! Not a bad bright though. Not piercing bright.

wads3 said:
v-1 svetlana
v-2 svetlana
v-3 tung sol
v-4 tung sol
v-5 electro harmonix

I hear you friend just did mine this past weekend.
I have been using the 6l6/EL34 combination a while, I use to use 6L6 straight across but have not found anything I really care for in a while. When I got these tubes www.dougstubes.com I broke down and went for the 6L6’s straight across. My Mark IV never sounded this good EVER! I’m loving the SED’s and the preamp package that Doug put together for me but I also plan on getting the 6l6/EL34 combo in SED’s. might go for some 6V6’s also. I love to change it up especially while recording.

V1 Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7
V2 high gain JJ ECC83S
V3 Penta Labs/Shuguang 12AX7C
V4 Unlabled/Shuguang 12AX7C
V5 balanced Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Power section (4) winged=c= SED 6L6GC

I tried the tung sol in v-1 and it made my lead channel very noisy...

wads3 said:
How do you get the text under your name???? ie Mark IV
That changes the more threads you respond too.
wads3 said:
I tried the tung sol in v-1 and it made my lead channel very noisy...
No not at all my amp is even more quiet, than it ever was.
One thing for sure we may have slightly different setups but we are both getting monster tones!

I'm a big fan of the JJ stuff but after reading so many good comments about Tung-Sol and SED, I decided to order a set to give it a try. I will do some test this weekend to see if the JJ are still the best option !

:D

This forum/thread is killer!! I've always stuck to Mesa tubes, but recenty started checking around, and experimenting with fantastic results.

highroller said:
I'm a big fan of the JJ stuff but after reading so many good comments about Tung-Sol and SED, I decided to order a set to give it a try. I will do some test this weekend to see if the JJ are still the best option !

Just save one of those JJ's for the v2 location I have been getting good results with this

Made some test today with different combinations of tubes in my Mark IV "A" (Seymour duncan JB/Jazz pickups)

I found the Tung-Sol to be more harmonically rich than the JJ s. However, the SED 6L6 are way too bright for my taste, seem very similar to Svetlana 6L6 in term of brightness.

I ended up with Tung-Sol in the preamp and combination of JJ 6L6 with SED Winged C EL-34 in the power section.

The darker tone of the JJ mix very well with the brightness of the SED !!!

Made some test today with different combinations of tubes in my Mark IV "A" (Seymour duncan JB/Jazz pickups) I found the Tung-Sol to be more harmonically rich than the JJ s. However, the SED 6L6 are way too bright for my taste, seem very similar to Svetlana 6L6 in term of brightness. I ended up with Tung-Sol in the preamp and combination of JJ 6L6 with SED Winged C EL-34 in the power section. The darker tone of the JJ mix very well with the brightness of the SED !!!
After trying more tube combinations, I finally reverted my setup to 4 JJ 6L6, my Mark IV definitively need darker tubes with the JB pickup. It is interesting to see that different tubes can greatly affect the overall sound of an amp.

Back