Just replaced all tubes, blowing fuse and microphonics

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rauls56

Reaction score
I have a MK IV combo that I just replaced all the AX7 tubes and power and am running EL34/6L6 in the power tubes. I started the gig fine last night and POW! Blew the fuse. Replaced the fuse and I then had a microphonic problem that persisted through the night. I couldn't use any high gain or distortion as it literally screamed with a shrill pitch. I bought the tubes from Boogie day before yesterday. Any help or insight would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.

Well, my thoughts: Were you running a Power Conditioner? If not, club levels of electricity will eat an amp alive. At the very least, run your stuff through a surge protected power strip.

Sadly, a blown fuse is probably a shaky power tube, even though it's new. The squeal is the V3 or V4 preamp tube and it can be worse with the pull bright and un-potted pickups. It's probably a faulty preamp tube. Time for a few warranty replacements. I've had enough bad tubes out of the box to last a life time.

Latest posts

Back