Just got a Quad

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneAddictJon

Reaction score
WOW. Tone, tone, tone, versatility, tone, versatility!!! Compared it side by side with a studio pre, and the quad came home with me. Absolutely a great piece!! This has all the tone I wish I could of got out the Mark IV, plus recording outs that sound amazing! Gonna go play now :D

Great unit but I am not fan of the recording outs...then again any amp I have ever owned that had recording outs I found lacking, Except the Vetta.

EdgeOfDarkness said:
Great unit but I am not fan of the recording outs...then again any amp I have ever owned that had recording outs I found lacking, Except the Vetta.

I have found lacking even the Vetta :)

Not that it sounded bad at all, but the POD XT sounds better direct.

Back to topic: congrats for your purchase! The Quad is one of the best preamps ever, it is big and heavy, but it's worth every ounce. Every amp I ever played just made me want to come back to my Quad :)

Thanks guys!! It definitely sounds better ran through some speakers, but the recording outs blow most other preamps (I've used) away, I was expecting some lifeless crap out of them, but they work well (especially in stereo layered) for idea tracking.

Congrats! the Quad pre is pure tone!

Man you are picking up Mesa's left and right. Any idea what power amp you will pair it up with?

I'll probably be getting either a 2:fifty or 2:100. I've been running it through my Dual Recto and ToV and it sounds absolutely amazing!! I'm not a fan of 6l6's or Simul-Class, but I love EL34's and EL84's.

ToneAddictJon said:
I'll probably be getting either a 2:fifty or 2:100. I've been running it through my Dual Recto and ToV and it sounds absolutely amazing!! I'm not a fan of 6l6's or Simul-Class, but I love EL34's and EL84's.

Then I'd suggest you to test the VHT 2/50/2. The best EL34 based poweramp I ever heard.

Ok, I have an idea, I'm not sure if it will work. You could pick up a 295. Instead of 6L6's get yellow jackets and put in EL84!

EDIT: Oh sh!t, your not a fan of Simul-Class. Nevermind.

MetalMatt, that's a good idea. The only reason I don't like simul-class is because of the necessity of 6l6's, but yellow jackets would be a great way around that. Actually, a 2:fifty with 2 el34's on one side and 2 el84's on the other would make me very, very happy.

Hey, congrats on the Quad. I really wanted one but they market went nuts this summer :cry: and I ended up getting two Studio Preamps :) .

Anyway, as far as EL84 power amps go, I run one of my Studio Preamps through a Peavey 50/50 that runs eight EL84, two 12AT7 and two 12AX7 tubes. It sounds pretty **** good to me and to everyone else who has heard it.

Good luck on finding the right mate for your Quad.

Haha, I just got the 50/50 last week and it sounds killer!! My gear list is constantly changing, I just picked up a 2x12 halfback with EV's and another 1x12 open back with EV in it this morning :D

I have a 4x12 halfback with the Eminence 50 watt speakers up top and EVM12Ls on the bottom and a 2x12 halfback with a C90 up top and EVM12L on the bottom. Ran them together at our last show. It sounded amazing.

Have you run the Quad through your Mark IV power section?

How do feel it compares with the Peavey 50/50?

Haha. I never liked the power section of the Mark IV, seemed too sterile to me. I've ran the quad through the power section of my DR, ToV and Maverick, and loved how it sounded through the DR, but after running it through the 50/50, I'm satisfied :D
Today, I was playing my DR dry through the 2x12 halfback and the quad-g-major-50/50 into all 4 of my 1x12's (2 on each side of the 2x12), and WOW! Best sounding setup I've ever had. Talk about thump, definition, saturation, and TONE! I think after all this money spent and through all the amps/preamps/cabs/guitars I've gone through, I've finally found MY setup. Well, maybe I'll get another thiele (EV) and get rid of the rocktron cab :twisted: we'll see :wink:

i just picked up a quad as well. what an animal! i'm powering it with a strategy 500 and my god what a beast!

Latest posts

Back