just got a mark iv (tone sample added)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanez_shred

Reaction score
HI all I am new to the forum and need a bit of help,I just picked up a mark iv and need help with a good metal tone,I really like lamb of gods tone,can anyone help me out here?

Here she is. :D 8)
3n13pb3o05P15S65R1a7a7a303e1742821d16.jpg

3nf3k43o75Q35Z45P1a7affe8f207c2781622.jpg

3n13k53ob5V15T25P3a7a76de44ebc15a18ca.jpg

Congtats! The sample settings on the top of your amp for the lead channel should get you close. Maybe bump the treble to 8 and the mids to 6-7. The example geq on there should be close to what you want also. Of course it also depends on what guitar you're playing, speaker and cabinet design, picking technique, room size, etc...Just start there and experiment. Make sure you are free for about 3 months though. Thats about how long it takes to get to know this amp. :lol:

Mrak? This isn't harmony central! :p. 8 gain, 7 drive.. both pulled. Presence pushed in. Triode imo. Good luck.

ryjan said:
Congtats! The sample settings on the top of your amp for the lead channel should get you close. Maybe bump the treble to 8 and the mids to 6-7. The example geq on there should be close to what you want also. Of course it also depends on what guitar you're playing, speaker and cabinet design, picking technique, room size, etc...Just start there and experiment. Make sure you are free for about 3 months though. Thats about how long it takes to get to know this amp. :lol:
Thanks for the info! I just got it today so i need to work with this a bit. :wink:
Rite now I am using an old randall 4x12 with the jags I also have a newer randall with the vintage 30's a ibanez rgd 7 string a custom 540 PII 7 string and a rg 6 string.

Scary said:
Mrak? This isn't harmony central! :p. 8 gain, 7 drive.. both pulled. Presence pushed in. Triode imo. Good luck.
There I fixed it,lmao mrak...... :lol: :mrgreen:
Thanks bro.

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2639-1.jpg

Here is how a lot of people use it including me. Mine is a combo ... but I use it with a stack most of the time.

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/view-mark4-settings.html

Ibanez_shred said:
ryjan said:
Thanks for the info! I just got it today so i need to work with this a bit. :wink:
Rite now I am using an old randall 4x12 with the jags I also have a newer randall with the vintage 30's a ibanez rgd 7 string a custom 540 PII 7 string and a rg 6 string.

Scary said:
There I fixed it,lmao mrak...... :lol: :mrgreen:
Thanks bro.

IMG_2637.jpg

Turn that Lead Bass pot WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY down to about 2. Bring the Mid pot to at least 4. That 750 Hz slider position makes me have a small amount of vomit come to the back of my throat. :lol: :wink: The gain and drive are also extremely high for the Lead channel. The gain should be set to about 8 and the drive set to taste. The high mids are the voice of the single note Mark series tone. Unless you are strictly a rhythm player, get that 750 Hz slider off the bottom line, PLEASE. Above all, read the manual and digest it fully, espcially when it comes to the pull pots. If you are not a past Mark series user, you can learn a lot about the control interaction.

Thanks,that pic was taken rite when I got it home and hooked it up,thats how the guy I got it from had it I guess,here is a pic of how I set it for the first go.sounds much better.
IMG_2640.jpg

the ld and r1 presence are pulled and the r2 gains pulled.I used the class A with tweed power and tiode like it says in the manual.I am using an ibanez rgd 7 string and a rg 6 string,I have a randall 4x12 with jags and one with vintage 30's,I want to get a mesa straight bottom cab in the near future.
IMG_2639-1.jpg

Personally I have never understood why the manual calls for class A and triode for the most brootal metal tones.

The marks distortion is mainly from the preamp (AFAIK), i tend to run my channel levels significantly higher than my master

I find that i get the most aggressive and tight metal tones by doing this and running it in full voltage-pentode.

Also, I do not like the pull shift on the lead channel for metal tones, but thats all gonna be personal preference. This is my typical lead channel

Gain-8 Pulled
Treble-8
bass-0.75 to 1
mids-7-9 depending on how it sounds that day
drive-6 pushed
presence-4-6 pushed depending on how it sounds that day
ch volume-7ish
master-1.5ish
mid gain.

my eq settings are pretty extreme but i do keep the 750 bumped up a bit so i dont get completely lost in the mix. I play strictly rhythm. This forum was a huge step for me in understanding the amp. I got mine through craigslist and only got to play for about 20 minutes prior to purchasing. Honestly the tone i dialed in blew, but i knew what the amp was capable of so i bought it. Looking back I am so glad i trusted my instincts. After reading the manual about ten times and coming here every day, you will learn a lot about that amp very quickly. cheers and enjoy the amp!

Try lowering the gain to 8 and lift the 750 slider a bit and the amp will really start to open up. I always set the knobs with the eq off so I get a perfectly balanced start to my sound. Oh, and everything JOEY B said.

I can tell you no one figures out that amp in a few days. Most people weeks or more to become familiar with it. The controls are very interactive.

Here is my first tone attempt,not to bad for the second day but It needs work.
I just threw a few riffs together real quick,my playings not tight but oh well.....

old
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9437467

new
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9439108

If you can't find the tone you want and decide to get rid of it, I've got a Rectoverb Solo 50 1x12 combo that I find to metal sounding for me. I'd definitely kick in some $$ as well. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back