Just bought my first mesa...looking for a cabinet. HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rectohead

Reaction score
I just bought a rectoverb and am pretty excited! I am looking for a closed back 2x12 cabinet, but am low on money due to my purchase.

I would prefer something with vintage 30's since that is what the recto cabs use, but am open to randall, marshall, laney, maybe avatar or any others you could suggest.

I am into really warm toned cleans and heavy dirty distortion. Can anyone reccommend a good sounding cabinet?

Also, if anyone has sound clips of a rectifier through a different cab, please post!

Thanks so much!!!

A second for Avatar: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/main.htm

They're well built, look good, have a number of speaker selections, and are about half the price of the amp manufacturer's cabs. I had searched around for a while before I picked up a 2x12 open back from them. I have no regrets. What's nice is that you can mix and match from a number of speaker selections. The customer service is top notch, too.

Brewski said:
A second for Avatar: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/main.htm

They're well built, look good, have a number of speaker selections, and are about half the price of the amp manufacturer's cabs. I had searched around for a while before I picked up a 2x12 open back from them. I have no regrets. What's nice is that you can mix and match from a number of speaker selections. The customer service is top notch, too.

What speaker combo would you recommend for the heavy modern gain setting? 2 vintage 30's or a vintage 30/G12H30?

Does anyone have any sound clips of a rectifier with an avatar 2x12 cab?

Thanks!

How much do you want to spend? If you got a little extra, I'd try to find a Genz Benz G-flex 2x12... They seem to be going for around $325-$400 on ebay. I have one and absolutely LOVE it. Closed back, bass ports under the speakers which makes the stage-sound bigger.

What speaker combo would you recommend for the heavy modern gain setting? 2 vintage 30's or a vintage 30/G12H30?

I have the vintage 30/G12H30 with an open back. The G12H30 has a more mellow voice than the vintage 30. They work well together and really like that combo. I am doing more classic stuff, as well as clean rythmn stuff rather than modern heavy gain music. It depends on whether you want a brighter "in your face" sound. If that's the case, then get the vintage 30's, but it will be a bit more harsh, as some guys had discussed this on other parts of the forum. If you are looking for a more rounded sound get the vintage 30/G12H30 combo. If you're not sure, I don't think that you can go wrong with the combo. You could always get another vintage 30 later, and put it in the cab for around a hundred bucks or so.

Hopefully, some of the high gain guys will respond and put in their recommendations.

One more thing. If you are trying to save money and don't like the wheat or Fender silver grills, I was told by the folks at Avatar that some guys are buying the wheat grills and spray painting them black on their Special cab. I spent the extra for a black grill, but it is another option to save $30 or so. You can also get the metal grill, which is pretty sturdy for the extra $30.

Another vote for Avatar. Although none of my guitar cabs are from them, I got a set of Greenbacks for one of my cabs from them, and I got my bass cab from them. Dave is the best!

Latest posts

Back