Just bought a Nova Delay for my Mark V...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love, love, love delay, but I can't justify a $400 delay pedal. The Nova is as good quality as I need. Like we've said, it blows Boss delay out of the water!!

just picked up the nova delay and think it's great! but, I'm not sure I'll keep it- got 30days witih L&M to return it. I think it's too much pedayl for me but it sounds awsome! I might actually downgrade to the repeater or maybe jsut stick to my boss. - who knows. But the nova is pretty killer and hardly affects the fx loop.

I have owned a nova delay for about a year now and have always been happy with it. Reading these posts caused me to become curious about why all the praise for the timefactor so I ordered one from Musicians Friend that was used but in new condition for $351.00 instead of the normal price of $399.00, bought from them mainly because of the return policy. Received it yesterday and played with it for quite a few hours last night. The original plan was to sell the nova since I expected to really fall in love with the timefactor after reading all the reviews. Now the nova is not going to be sold and I am thinking about buying another nova so I have two so as to do some dual delay action. I find the nova sound quality very close to the timefactor, the nova is lots easier to understand and use. The nova will show you your delay time constantly in the display and its tap feature works a hell of alot better. The timefactor is basically a rack processor on the floor with lots of perimeters that can be adjusted and does have the ability to give you a chorus/phaser sound but I already own both of these in pedal form that can do a better job and I can quickly see weather they are on or off. The timefactor needs to have the ability to name the presets,which can number 100 with the newest update (50 banks), instead you have to memorize the bank and preset numbers. The presets on the timefactor that come with it are very good but you have to overwrite them if you wish to save your own presets, they should have left room for user banks so you don't have to do that. You really need to use the timefactor with a midi footswitch so to quickly access all the presets so why not just buy a rack unit? The sound quality between the nova and timefactor is pretty close with my ears with the timefactor maybe being a little better but not worth the price difference. If you like to turn knobs the timefactor will be great for you and will give you great sounds but I find the nova delay to also be a great unit and more for me. I know many will disagree with me but this is just my opinion which doesn't really matter much so don't get too upset timefactor users.

Anyone have experience with the cheaper Nova Repeater? Looks like it doesn't have the ability to save presets. Those with any of these different TC Electronics delays, how are the results going into the front of the amp? I presume it's better in a serial loop.

MJ Slaughter said:
Anyone have experience with the cheaper Nova Repeater? Looks like it doesn't have the ability to save presets. Those with any of these different TC Electronics delays, how are the results going into the front of the amp? I presume it's better in a serial loop.

The Repeater is a stripped version of the Nova so, as you said, no presets. But, they added a 'kill dry' mode to the Repeater. Could be useful. As for going straight to the front of the amp - never tried it! I should get my Xotic AC Booster today though so I can try to run the delay in front after the OD through the Mark V's clean channel. I'm sure it will sound great still. But, yes, a serial loop is definitely the best for effects (especially delay).

I just added the timefactor, and for me, I think it is a desert island pedal- if I could only have one pedal, ever, the Timefactor would be the one. Of course, it was my love of the Nova that first caused my quest for the ultimate delay....
It is a lot of pedal, but for me, it can do anything I will ever need a delay to do, by itself, and duel parallel delays is the key for me. You can run two delay pedals, but won't the repeats play off of each other? How would you set that up?

Laskyman said:
I just added the timefactor, and for me, I think it is a desert island pedal- if I could only have one pedal, ever, the Timefactor would be the one. Of course, it was my love of the Nova that first caused my quest for the ultimate delay....
It is a lot of pedal, but for me, it can do anything I will ever need a delay to do, by itself, and duel parallel delays is the key for me. You can run two delay pedals, but won't the repeats play off of each other? How would you set that up?

Well, it's a good thing I am happy with only one delay! If I had a stereo setup then the TimeFactor would be very appealing...

I wondered about running two separate delays if they would sound funny since the last in line would play off the first since it didn't get a dry signal so I tried it. I used the timefactor first in line with only one delay running at around 330ms and set up the nova delay behind it set at 550ms. This should be the same as running two nova delays like I am thinking of doing. I am sure its not exactly the same as just using the two in the timefactor but after playing around with the feedbacks and mix it sounded pretty **** good and then I did compare it to using just the timefactor setting its two delays at those settings and it sounded very close to the same. I just really like being able to see what the delay time is, if modulation is on or not constantly like the nova does. If I had never owned the nova I would think the timefactor was the greatest thing ever and not miss how the nova gives all the info you need to know without stepping on any switches. I used the looper last night on the timefactor and its pretty cool but at only 12 seconds to record you have to be quick, there again I would rather have a looper that has lots more time like a jamman. I do agree that if you can only have one the timefactor would be the one but at its high price you could pick up a few used pedals off ebay that can actually achieve more in my opinion.

You won't ever hear me bang on the Nova- its a fantastic pedal at a very good price...I personally think it is superior to the TRex replica, which costs the same as a timefactor....with my playing, I use presets for different applications, so "seeing" the time of the delay is not important, but I see where it would be for some. If the Nova gets you what you need- save some cash! There's other toys out there.....

Laskyman said:
If the Nova gets you what you need- save some cash! There's other toys out there.....

Precisely! I used the 'leftover' towards an Xotic AC Booster that just came in today. 8)

I am also not bashing the timefactor, it is a very good unit and I have thoughts of keeping it but can't bring myself to sell my nova for it which was the original plan and can't really afford to keep both. The only real complaint about the timefactor is its price, maybe if it was $100.00 cheaper I would really love it. I have a G-Major in my rack and it does dual delays like the timefactor and lots more for the same price.

I recently sold a Modfactor, but am gassing for it again- I will have it....combined with the timefactor....pretty much have EVERYTHING covered....like was said, "its as powerful as a rack unit, but in a stomp".....first though, I am eyeing an Ernie Ball wah.....anyone try one?...

I nearly bought a Nove delay but you have to calibrate it so its no good for me using different guitars, and no good for the mesa send and return on my amps because the amp volume controls the send volume into the delay. It would mean that with a Nove delay in the send and return I would have to RE calibrate it every time I moved the amps volume knob, and if the calibration is too high it distorts, too low and the whole sound is thin, completely impractical, also I you can't jump to a preset you have to scroll through each time, and I read that most people in the UK have had to buy another adaptor as the one supplied hums too much, I read they were dying alot also. So I opted for the Hardwire delay, its true bypass so when off, you tone is preserved, with the T.C. the guitar signal is converted to digital and back in the T.C. all the time which can sound a bit digital they say.

JL,
how does the timefactor compare to the GMajor delays? (the dual delays mainly, but any singles that you use too)

THanks,
d

I would say the timefactor delay quality is better than the G-Major but its not huge. I have been working with the timefactor now for about a week trying to decide weather to keep it or not. I do now like it better than when I started and it has a couple of very nice presets that I could find myself using. My problem is I find myself constantly tweaking knobs instead of playing. It is not hard to figure out even though I am having a tough time finding a expression pedal that works proper. If I find myself always tweaking I might as well use a full blown processor since I find it easier to tweak when in a rack instead of the floor. I am leaning towards sending the timefactor back and continue with the nova. I can see where there is lots of possable sounds with the timefactor but I just need to play.

I also just bought the ND-1 as well and so far I really like it. One sound I have been able to come up with so far that I really like on the clean tones is: Delay: 25ms, Feedback: 0, Color: 75, Mod: 75, Mix: 100, Delay Type: Delay Line, Subdiv: Quarter Note, Mod Style: #2. It gives you a nice full chorusy type feel to it, at least I feel it does. Enjoy!

dfrady said:
I also just bought the ND-1 as well and so far I really like it. One sound I have been able to come up with so far that I really like on the clean tones is: Delay: 25ms, Feedback: 0, Color: 75, Mod: 75, Mix: 100, Delay Type: Delay Line, Subdiv: Quarter Note, Mod Style: #2. It gives you a nice full chorusy type feel to it, at least I feel it does. Enjoy!

Cool! Thanks for sharing your settings! I'll have to try that out. I'm still digging my ND-1 as well. 8)

Latest posts

Back