Just bought 1st Tube Amp...Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djimakplon

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a noobie to all this stuff and need some help figuring out what I am doing. I recently bought a Stiletto Trident. I have several other pieces that I am trying to fit together, but am not having much luck. I have a Mesa quad pre, a gsp 2101, and a BBE sonic maximizer. I have the quad pre running into the fx loop of the Trident. This creates a tremendous amount of noise. Is this indicative of bad tubes in the quad pre? Should I even be running the quad pre into the Trident? I have the gsp running into the fx of the quad pre. I am not sure what to do with the BBE.

Any advice much appreciated thanks.

I wouldn't run the quad into the Stilleto fx loop. The quad is a preamp, the only thing that it should be run to is either a direct line for recording, or a power amp. Others can chime in on what to do, but I wouldn't run the quad into the Trident. The Trident sounds good enough with it's own preamp.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
I wouldn't run the quad into the Stilleto fx loop. The quad is a preamp, the only thing that it should be run to is either a direct line for recording, or a power amp. Others can chime in on what to do, but I wouldn't run the quad into the Trident. The Trident sounds good enough with it's own preamp.

-AJH

What he said ! There is too much gain in that preamp to run looped.

You can run your gsp 2101 and BBE in the loop but just make sure you don't run distortion/overdrive settings..ie you can use all the chorus, pitch shifting, flange, delay, reverbs etc..

Like AJH said, You should have plenty of gain in that Stiletto !

You will have to tweek the send/mix level controls to your liking.. play with it.

First off I wouldn't run the 2101 as a preamp. You might be able to run the 2101 as an effects unit to create a stereo effects rig. But you will need another power amp. I would leave the Stiletto to run like it is with just some effects in the loop. Simple setup: guitar>stiletto, send>2101 (preamp off)>return, stiletto>cab. Or once you get a power amp: guitar>quad, send>2101(again, preamp off)>return, quad>power amp>cab. I wouldn't try to use it to integrate the quad and the Stiletto. You could use the 2101 as a pre but why?, you have a quad and a stiletto.

Thanks guys great info. Sounds like I need to get a power amp to go with the quad. Any recommendations as to what would work well? I assume this set up would produce significantly different sound from the stiletto. That being said, would it be possible to mix the two using a splitter? I was just wondering cause it seems I read somewhere that Adam Jones has multiple amps in his rig, including a Mesa dual rectifier, Diezel, and a Marshall.

djimakplon said:
Thanks guys great info. Sounds like I need to get a power amp to go with the quad. Any recommendations as to what would work well? I assume this set up would produce significantly different sound from the stiletto. That being said, would it be possible to mix the two using a splitter? I was just wondering cause it seems I read somewhere that Adam Jones has multiple amps in his rig, including a Mesa dual rectifier, Diezel, and a Marshall.

A Mesa 50/50, 2:50 or a 2:90 (excess watts) to mate with that quad (killer pre btw)

Exactly use it as an another tone rig, two amp rigs with slightly OR radically different tones both clean and crunch is awesome.

The first time you run two rigs at the same time (with an A/B box of course) you'll see Nirvana, not the band the place.

Two rigs run in stereo is GREAT ! Good luck

Just got a new Les Paul Custom Silverburst from the recent reissue run, making it obvious why I mentioned Adam Jones' rig.

Anyhow, my quest for ultimate tone is afoot. No sipping, I am gulping the kool aid.

BTW, I see you play Dean. You post at the Dean Forum also? My buddy just purchased a custom run Dime model.

Thanks again.

djimakplon said:
Just got a new Les Paul Custom Silverburst from the recent reissue run, making it obvious why I mentioned Adam Jones' rig.

Anyhow, my quest for ultimate tone is afoot. No sipping, I am gulping the kool aid.

BTW, I see you play Dean. You post at the Dean Forum also? My buddy just purchased a custom run Dime model.

Thanks again.

Quest for the ultimate tone indeed, man it's a lifelong deal as your tastes change. Also fun as hell, especially talking to other gear/tech head tweekers like the people on this Boogie Board, excellent !
I've been able to get MY sound from just about any amp I've owned... Mesa just does it better than the rest. :wink:

Yeah, I just joined over there but haven't posted yet. I would've liked to be a part of DOA for this years 30th Anniversary shindig but alas... I had a ton of other things going on.
A custom Dime huh? I bet it's sweet.
I love all the Dean's but the Cadillac is my fav !

My friend runs a sonic maximizer with his DR mesa. He just plugs the guitar into the maximizer and then the maximizer into the head. Sounds pretty sweet. I hate having all that other crap to deal with so I don't htink I would ever use one, but I think if sounds cool.

Yeah, the sonic maximizer is sweet. It really does make everything nice and full, real vibrant.
As far as how you run it is personal taste. Just like anyone who has run different pedals....some like delay after dist or before chorus.
Some things work/sound better in the loop, others straight in.

Except wah in your loop..no, no, no, not good :(

It really is a matter of finding what YOU like and of course what works !
Tweeking is the fun part...for me simplicity is KING !

Back