JJ E34L in a mark V with no bias mod?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpledc

Reaction score
Am I asking for a meltdown? Eurotubes claims they dont sell the E34L kits for the mark V because they run hotter than regular EL34 tubes and wont work. Then I see people posting that they use the E34L tubes in their amps. Does anyone here use the JJ e34L without a bias mod on their Mark V? Amplified parts seem pretty confident they can get me a quad that will work properly in my amp. Any thoughts?

That's bizarre. Eurotubes sold me a quad of EL34L's for mine, after I checked in twice with them. Is this Bob telling you this? The current draw is marked on the tube boxes, so they must have picked them out for this purpose as they say they do.

I use E34Ls. Love 'em. Apparently Eurotubes once had proper E34Ls for the Mark V but don't anymore. That's when I got mine. If you buy a set now, you won't experience amp meltdown, you'll just go through the tubes quicker. This is according to Eurotubes; I asked recently. Give them a call. I'm sure they are much more informative than me.

I guess the issue is that there isnt enough E34L's that fall into the proper range for them to have the kits listed all the time for sale. They can get them but you have to ask. Got some coming and I cant wait.

If you guys in the US have a shortage of Mesa biased EL34's, try Watford Valves in the UK. Derek is very helpful, and has supplied me with =C=s which run both my Mesas without any issues

Shipping should not be an issue or too expensive. Good luck

Yes, I do since the begining, with Mesa's EL 34 in the inner sockets with the 90w mode only and :mrgreen:
love that sound !

The OP was referring to JJ E34L tubes, not EL34. It's basically the same tube with a bigger, tighter bottom. I believe it is only made by JJ.

Got them today and installed them. Freaking insane. I love these tubes man. Ive always liked them in any amp I put them in. See I like a lot of mids but I dont like them to be honky or woofy. It seems like 6l6 tubes IMO are simply better suited for scooping mids. With the el34's I find that I can used more mids and have them be more pleasing to the ear. Not only that but If I do decide to scoop some mids the natural Eq curve of the EL34 power prevents me from being able to scoop the tone too much and lose the definition. I honestly think they would sell more of these amps if they offered an el34 option from the factory like engl does. In some amps the power tubes make little difference. In the mark V its like night and day. The thing rips.

It seems to me that you could get the same amount of mids or whatever with the 5-band graphic, no matter what tubes you are using.

The difference would be more of a feel thing, with the EL34's being a bit more compressed and squishy.

What do you think?

leadfootdriver said:
It seems to me that you could get the same amount of mids or whatever with the 5-band graphic, no matter what tubes you are using.

The difference would be more of a feel thing, with the EL34's being a bit more compressed and squishy.

What do you think?

Well remember that its the 5 band graphic only targets those specific 5 frequency ranges. It has some influence across the board but its not going to replace what an EL34 type tube will do for your tone. Think of the 5 band as a way to add less or more of what exists. Think of the actual tubes as being the determining factor of "what" actually exists to be influenced by the eq. In other words yes you can get more mids by using the EQ without changing tubes. But by changing the tubes you change where the focal point is on which particular mids are available to be manipulated by the eq. It seems to me that the gain on this amp is structured a lot around the upper mids. But with 6l6's there is an inherent lack of upper mid content available. By changing to el34's the amp sounds like its a higher gain amp than it used to be because there are more frequencies that the gain stages are voiced for in the mix. Short answer is "no" you wont get the same effect by changing the eq.

Have a recording setup? Rip some chords; lets hear it.

Whenever Paypal gives me my fuckin' money, I finally order V for myself! :evil: :mrgreen:

leadfootdriver said:
Has anyone put EL34's in the Class A spots, for a mix of both?

Very good question

How do I insert a mix of both and safely use it ?
2 EL34 on position V8&V9,2 6L6 on V10&V11 ?
Can I run that for 10 W and 45 W as well ?

Best regards

Roland

thunder100 said:
leadfootdriver said:
Has anyone put EL34's in the Class A spots, for a mix of both?

Very good question

How do I insert a mix of both and safely use it ?
2 EL34 on position V8&V9,2 6L6 on V10&V11 ?
Can I run that for 10 W and 45 W as well ?

Best regards

Roland

I think the manual says that the inner power tubes are the Class A's. But I'd call Boogie, and ask them if it's okay to do it with this amp; since they have the new bias switch for either or...

I did this no problem with my 2:90 power amp. But before I sold it, I went back to all 6l6's; because they have the most articulation.

I should have my V tomarrow. :D

The Bias switch at the back gives the option of EL34s, I have just installed a set of Svetlanna 1999 valve from Watford valves in Englkand , these are old stock brown top valves and are supposed to be the best,

I have had a mk5 for nearly 3 years and found the tone good but the bottom end is very soft and flabby in my opinion, and you cant fix it with the EQ either. I play in 2 bands , classic rock and a pop band , but i also play a lot of blues stuff.

The first impressions of the EL34 valves is that the tone is much tighter, and channel 2 sounds better balanced with that low mid softness reduced and a harder edge. Watford valves also advised that there is a mid way valve i think mits a 6V6 which is somewhere in between.

All i can say is i think the EL34 valve is much tighter sounding which you cant hear from all the you tube clips that i have seen, the change is actually very easy to hear in reallife.

I have a mark 5 and find the sound a bit flu by on the overdrive channel with chord voicing.

I mic up the cab and run it on 45'watt at around a third volume so any suggestions , is this normal for the mk 5 ?

I read somewhere (but not sure where) the reason why JJ EL34L are not recommended for the Mark V is the 10W mode. I searched the Eurotubes website to fine the comment again but could not find it. I believe there was a comment in the Kit section.

I doubt that Mesa factory says it's ok to use 4xEL34(L) in an amp that does not have a 6L6/EL34 switch. I love E34L's but don't recommend using 4 of them in this amp...

Latest posts

Back