Jazz onna Subway Blues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Hey Howdy,
Just found this place from a post at the fender dis page.

I've had a MkIIB, Quad and Studio pre w Stereo295 and 50/50 power amps, and am on my second Subway Blues, which I use to play mostly dinner-Jazz gigs and the occasional Pop&Showtunes (I used to play Rock and R&B, but got old and deaf).
I use a hardtail Strat.

Today I got to try out a couple Lonestars (one Special 112, and a 4X10 with the 50/100 deal).
I actually preferred a F-30 I played after. I guess I'm used to the tighter more Fender sound I think it has, even with the EL-84's, though the 6L6 4X10 Lonestar is pretty nice (just a LOT of money at $1899).

When I had an early Subway, years ago, it was barely adequate with an additional 1X12 cab, but lately I scored a later version in excellent shape and for the venues I play now, it's fine as-is.

I sure like lighter amps now. :roll:

what's the deal with these subway blues? the amp chassis looks alot like a blue-angel..can you compare the two? i like the idea of a super light amp as my back is a mess....how does it take pedals? anything else you can mention? how does it compare to the f30 1x12?

oh yea! and welcome to the board!

musicbox said:
what's the deal with these subway blues? the amp chassis looks alot like a blue-angel..can you compare the two? i like the idea of a super light amp as my back is a mess....how does it take pedals? anything else you can mention? how does it compare to the f30 1x12?

oh yea! and welcome to the board!

Subway (and Rocket) Blues were the 2 X EL-84 predecessors to the Blue Angel and F-30, but single channel. I only used a delay pedal with the Subway, so can't comment about OD pedals, though they would probably be a good idea to beef up a Fender guitar's output.
The F-30 has a tighter sound (1 X 12", vs 1 X 10"), though I have used extension cabinets that helped the clean headroom some, with the Subway.
The older Subways get a loud hum from the EQ circuit which the factory will replace (the epoxied board) for $50 labor and supply the parts.
My latest one (with the Fat switch instead of two inputs) doesn't have the problem, which shows up after an hour of playing, I hear. Also seems to have a better reverb than my first (early) one.

Overall I like the Subway Blues a lot for its simplicity and the tone stacks are great. I can get a good Fendery BF clean at low settings, which gets more tweedish as the volume comes up (and the midrange pot).
It sounds like a Mesa at full shout, but by that time extension cabinets are handy, to be heard over moderate drums.
When I bought my first one I still had a rack with Mesa stuff, and only used the Subway playing out once with an extension cab. It was barely adequate, but capable, in a half a gym, with a moderate drummer, for Pop and Classic R&B sounds, using a 1 X 12" extension combined with the onboard 10". None of us were mic'd. It sounded good for the ratty Boogie sounds, but wouldn't clean up for ballads. I never gigged it again, though now I do all the time for Cafes, etc (Jazz).

The Subway feels like about 30 - 35 pounds, and is handy small. I'm sure the F-30 is slightly heavier, but the same dimensions.

The Subway and Rocket Blues series was the lightest, least expensive Boogie ever made, but still sounds like a Boogie. Great for Blues if you like just rolling up the guitar volume. The Rocket's reverb sucked. The Subway has tube driven and a long pan.
I just paid $500 for one. Brand new in the '90's, they were $479.
I think the F-30 is better all around, but twice as pricey.
The Subway Blues is much looser and tweedier sounding than the F-30, on the clean sounds. I suspect they're about the same at full shout.

I never played a Blue Angel, but prefer the 6L6 Lonestars to the Specials, and like the F series better still. The Subway sounds more like a Lonestar Special to me.

Tks for the welcome.

I used to think Boogies and Ampegs were heavy, until I had a Rivera duo-twelve: hundred, that felt like it was bolted to the floor!

Latest posts

Back