Fillmore 50 combo vs head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesdude

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Fillmore 50. Is there differences in tone and volume (clean headroom) between the Fillmore 50 combo and the Fillmore 50 head with the Fillmore 23 Speaker Cab. (1x12). I'm a rockin' blues guy and play usually smaller venues but occasionally play bigger stages. I usually use a 1971 Deluxe Reverb...Thanks!

I don't see why there would be a difference in clean headroom. Before I bought my Fillmore combo I did try the head and combo side by side and didn't notice one over the other having more clean headroom. Although this was in the music store so couldn't really take them to the limits. I ended up buying an Fillmore 23" extension cab for my combo and although it gives me more of that room filling 2X12 sound it hasn't really increased clean head room a lot.
At first when I bought the Fillmore 50 I was afraid it didn't quite have enough clean headroom for my uses. For a 40-50 watt amp it certainly doesn't have the clean of other similar wattage amps I've had in the past. I play a lot of outdoor bigger stages. But I have found that this amp is so easy to get it exactly where I need it, so its on the edge of break up. Pointed up at me and mic'd it is perfect.

My tip - get the head.

Plug it to 4x12 on 4ohm impedance if you want more clean headroom.

The cabinets are the same size, so tone wise I don't see any difference. As for headroom, I figure no difference as well. It comes down to your preference of advantages/disadvantages. I have a Fillmore 25 head. At rehearsal I plug it into two, 1x12 compact cabs (non Mesa) set on each side of the drummer. Sounds so cool! But I just take a Fender combo to the Bars for simplicity. I think a combo is more convenient. And I can add an ext. cab for a bigger sound. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back