IV v.s. III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpw

Reaction score
I've owned both but still own the III. Not sure if that tells you anything but...
I found the IV to be very versatile and the ability to dial in sounds independently was quite a bit easier than the III which seems to have much more interaction between channel settings.
When I was "playing out" the IV was pretty practical but now that I'm more inclined to be playing at home and don't need instant switching between tones, I prefer the tones of the III. Somewhat less "sterile," others talk about the IV sounding more compressed which I agree with as well.
I don't think I'm saying anything new here but I have owned both and I think you'd like a III.
=CPW=

My first Boogie was a IV and it was quite an upgrade from the Marshall and Fender amps I had been using. Then I bought a lll and after using the lll for a month, I used my IV at a gig and sold the IV soon afterwards. I found the IV to be too compressed and the delay in attack also sucked. I like the rawness of the early Boogies.

There is definitely more of a "rawness" or " aggressiveness" in the III, than the IV-no matter how you set the IV.And I do love my IV.Also some IV users are notorious for having troubes getting a decent thing going w/ ch.2..although I can say ive heard some pretty nice tones from 2,if enough time is spent tweaking it out.Its like when you look at the V and all its ups and downs: best advice is use the III, IV, and even the V for its strongest strengths, and try to stay away from their weaknesses..if that makes any sense.lol...

I own both III blue and IVA. I prefer the III's tone over the IV, but the versatility & footswitchability of the IV over the III. Both great amps.

Tuna141 said:
I own both III blue and IVA. I prefer the III's tone over the IV, but the versatility & footswitchability of the IV over the III. Both great amps.
.......................very well said!

Back