It seems like I'm looking for a recent Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismofreakish

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got some serious issues finding the tone I want with my Single Rectifier Serie II and mesa 4x12 cab... I got this rig for almost 7 years now and whatever pickup I put in my guitars (though I haven't tried EMGs yet), it's still flubby, not tight enough and I'm tired.

I always loved Pennywise and The Offspring tone, that kinda cuts like a knife, they both have Mark IV amps, so I think it might be the one for me...
However, to afford it new, I must sell my 1/2 stack so, no speaker left so maybe the combo would be essential. I need to think about it cause I'd like to keep the cab.

But I was wondering if the single 12" speaker is enough with a band? I mean, I would add another cab later but for now, would it be enough?

So if anybody have a recent Mark IV to sell, head or combo, please let me know!

In terms of volume, yeah, even at 3 the 1x12 compact combo could drown out the whole band.

Btw, if you dont wanna wait 6-8 weeks and save lots of money at the same time, buy used. That way maybe you can keep the cab.

~trem

the way i see it, if you kept a single rec for seven years...the mkiv is probably gonna be in your possesion for a while. if thats the case then the wait (however long) is totally worth it. and you will appreciate keeping the 412...even if it is a standard

Keep the cab man, save up for the head, trust me. It's worth it!

Mark IVs come up on eBay all the time. Buy it used. You'll save at least 33% and you'll be able to keep your cab. I think if you like it tight and focused a head and cab's the way to go. If you're really lucky you'll find one on Craigslist. Go used all the way.

+1 on the used head option.

The 1x12 combo has 2 problems:
- its heavy (minor)
- the 12" EV speaker may be loud enough for use in a band, but I end up using a cab because the single 12" just doesn't sound very good at high volume. Yeah, its rated to 200W or something so it won't "fail" but tone gets much worse as the speaker starts to break up.

Some purists think that the breakup of the high-wattage EV is a good sound, but I have to disagree. The punch of a mark running simulclass at full power seems to be just a bit much for a single 12". And a single 12" has a very narrow and focused sound cone compared to the field of sound generated by a 4x12.

Keep your cab, man.

Latest posts

Back