is there a REAL difference between the trad./oversized cabs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turmoil

Reaction score
Well, is there?

I currently have an oversized recto 4x12 cab and it's great but i typically play music along the speed/trash metal line so i need a somewhat tighter low end and i'm wondering if a traditional cab might suit my needs better. what do you guys think?

i'm also using a 3ch triple recto amp and i love it to death, so i definetly don't want to look into a different amp.

i like marshall cabs, and i've owned/played a ton but mesa cabs are the ones for me.

Or if you can't find one try the Stiletto straight cab.

Mark IV helps tighten things up too. My Mark IV is slowly replacing my previous amp as my speed and thrash amp. In fact, I might be selling my old amp because it does it that well.

yeah, i've heard a lot of good stuff about the Mark IV but i've never gotten to play one.
what amp is it potentially replacing??

I need to find a way to justify the 2 ch. Dual purchase in my near future. I will still have my JMP. The 2210 will get me almost enough to get into a 2 ch. Dual or if I am lucky a straight up trade. I can always go back. I did that before with the JMP.

Yes, there is a difference. I like the tone of the traditional cab way better. The oversize cab has a way more pronounced treble and more pronounced bass. That sizzly, aggravating sound is gone when you use a traditional cab. To my ears (more roots type and santana tones) the traditional has a sweeter mid, tighter bass and smoother highs. For your music you may dig the oversize, I dunno, but that's how I hear it. I used to not like the sound of the recto amps until I heard them through the trad cab.

First off the old Traditional cab is the new Stiletto Cab. The Standard is now the Recto cab.

I have A/Bed marshall cabs versus mesa cabs of the same size with the same type speaker and the mesa cab obviously sounds beefier. I assume it's the material the back panel is made of (birch ply vs mdf, right?)

I think the Stiletto cab is usually a better choice.

turmoil said:
Well, is there?

I currently have an oversized recto 4x12 cab and it's great but i typically play music along the speed/trash metal line so i need a somewhat tighter low end and i'm wondering if a traditional cab might suit my needs better. what do you guys think?

i'm also using a 3ch triple recto amp and i love it to death, so i definetly don't want to look into a different amp.

I have the traditional 4x12 cab and I love it . It really makes my rig .

Additionally, a contributing factor to the Traditional (er, Stilettos's) cab "tightness" could be due to a shift in frequency response, namely in the mids! They're desired for a tighter low end due to a mid hump, or the other way around?

phyrexia said:
First off the old Traditional cab is the new Stiletto Cab. The Standard is now the Recto cab.

I have A/Bed marshall cabs versus mesa cabs of the same size with the same type speaker and the mesa cab obviously sounds beefier. I assume it's the material the back panel is made of (birch ply vs mdf, right?)

I think the Stiletto cab is usually a better choice.

Being that the traditional cab is no longer produced it would be hard to find one to try. This is why I suggested the Stiletto cab because it is the same cab.

Yes, some marshall cabs have MDF. It depends upon the cab. My cabs are older and are solid ply not MDF. Newer Marshall cabs kind of suck.

In my opinion thers definately a difference. For me,I like the Recto cab best and I just recently had owned a Stilleto cab .The Recto 4x12 is worlds better with my Ace head which is already bright and plenty of mids. I also like the cleans better. I did in fact like the tradtional cab more with my Dual rec and Roadster channels 3 and 4.The recto cab really works awesome with the Ace and also with the Lonestar.Sounds to me that the Stilleto cab would be IDEAL for what you need based on your post.Hopefully you can give em both a good run before you decide.

You can goto a arts and crafts store and buy the stuffing that they put in like teddy bears or stuff animals etc.. and put it in your cab. It will reduce the internal volume which will give you the same effect as having a traditional and will tighten up your bass and give you some more mid's.

You will have to experiment with the amount you put in to see what you like.

turmoil said:
Well, is there?

siggy14 said:
You can goto a arts and crafts store and buy the stuffing that they put in like teddy bears or stuff animals etc.. and put it in your cab. It will reduce the internal volume which will give you the same effect as having a traditional and will tighten up your bass and give you some more mid's.

You will have to experiment with the amount you put in to see what you like.

True, +1

Good thread. I've often wondered what the difference is between the cab types.

Ciao ...

Latest posts

Back