Is the Mark IV for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricTurkey4369

Reaction score
Im honestly considering selling my recto and trying out the mark series. The recto is always to "in my face" and hard to get a satisfying tone out of. Someone is selling one in my area, and I have someone interested in my recto and am wondering if i should take the plunge. I'm looking for a tone similar to Opeth, Tool, most modern progressive bands. I DO NOT play metalcore and I don't need the 'br00talz" tone. I heard Mark's tones can vary with certain amps. I hear ALOT of mixed feelings about the mark IV. I heard some clips on netmusicians.org and I thought they sounded pretty awesome. I guess I'm not to overly picky on tones since I have not have a lot of mesa experience (The Single recto was my first mesa). Thanks Guys! :D

Is the Mark IV for me?
Yes.

The Mark IV is the be all, end all, alpha and omega of all amps ever made.
Of course I'm a little biased as I own one but it's still the best amp in the world!

ryjan said:
Is the Mark IV for me?
Yes.

The Mark IV is the be all, end all, alpha and omega of all amps ever made.
Of course I'm a little biased as I own one but it's still the best amp in the world!

Plus 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

All kidding aside, I've been playing for over 20 years and in that time had a couple of rectos, a few marshalls a stilletto and an f-50 and a few line6 amps.

When I finally got my self a MK IV my amp gas was cured. I've had that sucker for a little over two years and to be totally honest, if there is any other amp out there I'd like to own beside the 4 it would be the 5.

But I would not sell the 4 for the 5.

Nowadays I find my self looking at gear and trying to develop gas cause it can't be healthy to be gasless. 8)

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
I heard Mark's tones can vary with certain amps. I hear ALOT of mixed feelings about the mark IV. I heard some clips on netmusicians.org and I thought they sounded pretty awesome.

The Mark series tone can vary with certain PLAYERS among other things. They are the anti-Recto, as far as I'm concerned. Don't lay down any money based on recorded clips. Play the amp with your guitar through your speakers, etc..... Buyers remorse can be quite painful. Almost as bad as sellers remorse. :evil:

JOEY B. said:
ElectricTurkey4369 said:
I heard Mark's tones can vary with certain amps. I hear ALOT of mixed feelings about the mark IV. I heard some clips on netmusicians.org and I thought they sounded pretty awesome.

The Mark series tone can vary with certain PLAYERS among other things. They are the anti-Recto, as far as I'm concerned. Don't lay down any money based on recorded clips. Play the amp with your guitar through your speakers, etc..... Buyers remorse can be quite painful. Almost as bad as sellers remorse. :evil:

Cant say this is completely true. I bought a Mark III based solely on clips. Never played one or even saw one in person until I bought mine off craigslist. Best choice i ever made. I too am gasless after getting this.

You have to try the mark 4, it's a tweaker's amp, but the sample settings provided in the manual are excellent springboard tones. I almost got rid of my 4, but after trying the settings provided in the manual, I am glad i didn't sell. If it's a combo amp, it is fairly heavy, so be forewarned if you gig often in different venues. The weight sort of acted a deterrent for me for taking the mark 4 out for gigs after playing several times weekly in different venues. Mark 4 really cuts through the mix though, your sound tech/singers/bandmates will be happy, as long as you're not too loud... :wink:

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
. I'm looking for a tone similar to Opeth

The Mark Series and a 'good' PRS are pretty spot on for that tone, although other factors like cabs/speakers,pups,etc are just as relevant as well. Usually once converted to Mark series, there's no looking back. Good luck!

~Nep~

A mark vs recto story from the north of scandinavia.

I reasonly traded my c+ upgrade (DRG)(sylvania 6l6/6ca7/ Tungsrams/rft tubes) , with a dual recto blackface + money to finance a orginal c+ longhead.

When i traded it i brought it to the guys rehearsel place that where designed for loud musicand well made acouticly , we had two idendical Mesa straight recto cabs and had each amp hooked to its own cab and we could A/B them.

I was a bit nervous because i never really cranked the c+ and diddent know what to expect.

At lower volumes the c+ where diffently more refint, more responsiv and more smooth ,a better amp .
the recto where abit fizzy, uncontroled ,in you face, slightly solid state sounding.

Then we cranked the recto, the sound got better and it sounds really brutal with plenty of bass slam, and pretty tight but not that much different then at lower volums, then over to the c+ i put the master on 5 and in lead channel and slowly turning the lead master up ,when i got the lead master at around 3.5 the amp came alive , sounds was so loud ,dynamic, refint,angry, and generally freaking amazing , I was moved and I could actually feel my legs shiwer by the shere awsomness of the sound and dynamics.
recto clean vs c+ clean , is like comparing a 5 star `michelin`awared dinner, with a bigmac.

The buyer was one big smile and there where no discussing of the price this time.
I have played therough the recto for 2 weeks now and it just dont inspire me to play guitar as much as the mark, end of story.
Good thing i have my new c+ on its way , proberly somwhere over the atlantic ocean at this very moment.

The mark 4 is close to the c+ , and if i where you i would pull the tricker, mesa mark amps are special and worth eny guitar players considderation.

That was the good night story for today , im of to bed. 8)

JOEY B. said:
ElectricTurkey4369 said:

+1. If you have the opportunity to play the amp, DO IT. There is no substitute for first-hand experience with your guitar. Before you demo it, I'd recommend reading the manual (here) to learn the features, especially the factory sample settings, because Mark IVs can be temperamental and sometimes tricky to dial in.

JOEY B. said:
Facelift said:
I bought a Mark III based solely on clips.

I'm glad you were happy with your purchase. You took a blind leap of faith. Sometimes they are worth the danger.

Tell me about it man. I sold a Bogner Fish with the faith that the Mark III was exactly what I was looking for. Its either a huge coincidence, luck, or the planets aligned in my favor. The Mark III I got was from the original owner, had everything that came with it including hang tags and the original receipts and it was mint. I couldnt ask for a better amp than what I got. Although i wouldnt mind having a IIC+ sitting next to it, the III is perfect in everything I need it for. Even though buying without trying is usually a major mistake people make, I really cant see it when it involves the Mark series. I dont think there is anyone that wouldnt like a Mark IMO.

I was talking to the guy who is selling the mark IV, he said he bought it just before it was discontinued and he said he hasn't played it much. I think I'm going to buy it. Im in Ontario, so it's not often you see a Mark IV around here.

Buy it!

If you don't like it you can ALWAYS sell it for what you have in it.

Having said that, you will need some time to figure the amp out.

I have had mine for a few years now and still find new tones and ways to get tones out of the amp, all the time :mrgreen: :D 8)

MIck

Get both mang.

Opeth used Rectifiers on Deliverance, FWIW. They also use Randalls and Laney.

If you are really wanting recto tone then dont do it. The Marks DONT do recto tones. And vice versa. If its me, Id do it. The Mark IV is an amazing amp. Plus Mark IVs sell quick. Unlike rectos. If you dont like it, sell it and get another of the million or so rectos put there for sale.

The Mark IV series delivers pretty much any sound. I've had two of them now, the first was a head and then downsized to the 1x12" combo version. I absolutely love it. The clean channel is on par with the lone-star in my opinion. Rhythm 2 on my combo seems to have more gain than mine head did for some reason. I didn't like it on my head, which was a newer version of the Mark IV and my combo is actually serial number 16, not sure what changed between them. R2 is a lot more useable on my combo for the mid gain, crumchy sounds, it can really be boosted with an OD pedal to bring it into a higher gain territory. The lead channel is what I use the most on the amp and it just screams. The GEQ is what really makes the amp useful. You could tweak it for hours and probably not ever get the same sound twice. It's an amp you have to really spend time with and learn how all the EQ functions and power settings react to each other before making any decision to keep it or sell it. But for what's it worth, this amp covers a lot of tonal territory and you really get a lot of bang for the buck. Ever since I got my Mark IV,any GAS i've had for a new amp has been vanquished. And that says a lot since i went through 4 amps in a year.

Yes. Any Mark amp would be good for you with the exception of the Mark 1.
Long story short, had a chance to get a new rig, came up on a Bogner Shiva and old VH4. While waiting on the VH4, had a chance to trade my Dual Recto for a Mark III with all the goodies. Never got the Deizel. Now my rig is mainly a Mark III for the dirties and Shiva for clean and raunchy. If I feel the need for Bruts I can pick up a used 5150 for way cheep, but I am happy now.

We've recently had the opportunity to host for several of the same bands at multiple benefit concerts. One guy had a big ole recto and I had never heard one before in person. Hes like me - guitar to amp (no pedals). Now after have heard him play thru it several times my conclusion: my mark IV sounds way better in all respects.

maybe its his settings - dunno

mark iv's not only rock - but do everything else as well.

topcat0399 said:
We've recently had the opportunity to host for several of the same bands at multiple benefit concerts. One guy had a big ole recto and I had never heard one before in person. Hes like me - guitar to amp (no pedals). Now after have heard him play thru it several times my conclusion: my mark IV sounds way better in all respects.

Im tempted to get one, but im also curious about the roadster...The mark IV scares me because i dont know if i'd like it :lol: but i have a feeling i would...

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
topcat0399 said:

Im tempted to get one, but im also curious about the roadster...The mark IV scares me because i dont know if i'd like it :lol: but i have a feeling i would...
You could always resell and recoup most/all of your money.

Latest posts

Back