Is the FX Loop post Reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomason

Reaction score
The other day I tried running my Keeley Tube Screamer in the FX loop, thinking it'd be nice to be able to hard bypass it. When I activated it on channel 1, clean, reverb at 70% (I like it wet :wink: ), I got tremendous feedback, and my conclusion was that it was a result of the Tube Screamer boosting the reverberated signal.

I'd like to know if you all have any thoughts on this, is the FX loop indeed post-verb?

Cheers,
Drew

The FX loop is post reverb.

It seems a little weird at first, but I think it's because you can fully bypass the FX loop, which also removes everything after the FX loop.

screamingdaisy said:
It seems a little weird at first, but I think it's because you can fully bypass the FX loop, which also removes everything after the FX loop.
By that logic, the master EQ section would be in front of the FX loop as well...

I'd love to see a signal flow diagram of the V. Anybody got one?

audiomason said:
The other day I tried running my Keeley Tube Screamer in the FX loop, thinking it'd be nice to be able to hard bypass it. When I activated it on channel 1, clean, reverb at 70% (I like it wet :wink: ), I got tremendous feedback, and my conclusion was that it was a result of the Tube Screamer boosting the reverberated signal.

I'd like to know if you all have any thoughts on this, is the FX loop indeed post-verb?

Cheers,
Drew

It's a result of the overdrive pedal receiving a line-level signal, which is generally not going to yield the desired results. With the reverb off, you would probably still have a serious noise issue. That, and it's not going to sound at all like it does in front of the amp.

A couple things...

First of all, I'd say running any kind of drive pedal in the loop is a no go. Those should pretty much always go in in front of the amp unless you're experimenting or (for some reason) just happen to like it better.

The reverb and graphic EQ are in fact before the loop. I've got a PDF of the schematic, but I don't know how to upload it :?

I would say that they put the reverb before the loop so that it wouldn't be hard bypassed, except that it's been before the loop on every mark amp, so I guess they just like it better there for some reason. The GEQ, on the other hand, is after the loop on every other mark besides the Mark V.

Latest posts

Back