Is the F-30 for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar55

Reaction score
I've decided that the LSC is not for me. It's too heavy, too tempermental as far as dialing in a tone is concerned and I don't like the overdrive in Channel 2 - too farty for me.

I want small, light, simple. Two channels: clean and dirty. I play everything from old R&B (James Brown, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett) to Stones, Springsteen, Black Crowes and Santana, with some Country and Blues thrown in, so I need versatility.

I play in an 8-piece band so I need some headroom.

Will I get all this from an F-30?

I played one today at GC and it sounded great. I'm going to try an F-50, but I like the idea of EL-84's instead of 6L6's.

Opinions?

Guitar55 said:
I need versatility.

I play in an 8-piece band so I need some headroom.

Will I get all this from an F-30?

Opinions?

I'd think in an 8-piece band, you'd want the headroom and power of the F-50--unless--you have excellent monitors and are micing your amp through a very high quality PA with an experienced soundman.

I see the F-30 as a terrific choice for the Classic Rock or Blues player that gigs in small bars and clubs, where he can crank the amp to get that "bluesy" tone we all love. The bigger F-50 will stay cleaner, longer--a better "all-around" amp, IMHO.

========

I think you should also consider the Mark IV, and I think an older Mark IV 112EVM combo with a 112 EVM Theile cab, would be just about your perfect gigging amp. Tremendous tonal shaping in the preamp, and in the power amp; the ability to use different power tubes; Class A and Simul-Class switching with different power levels and pentode or triode operation--this is truly a professional musician's amp. A Mark IV rig as I've described can handle any style of music, with a small footprint--and enough power and projection to fill the largest hall or arena if needed.

The F-Series amps ARE virtually plug & play; the Mark IV DOES have a pretty steep learning curve, BUT...when you master it, the payoff will be huge.

And remember, there's nothing wrong AT ALL with owning several amps of different power ratings--and selecting the amp according to the size of the venue. (Oh--the Mark IV has all of that--built in! Yes!!!)

So, how about an F-30 AND and F-50?

Good luck!

If you're looking for simplicity and versatility, the F-series will get you where you want to be. The F-30 probably won't give you the clean headroom you need in a big band like that though. The F-50 will.

I hear what you're saying about the EL84 sound - I love it too. I have a DC-3 and and F-50, so I've got my bases covered. FWIW, the DC-3 has, in my opinion, a lot more clean headroom than the F-30. If you've never played one, you should if you can find one. They are great little amps.

I got my F-50 so that I could compete in larger venues without having to tote along an extension cab, which is what I was having to do. The F-50 gives me everything I want. It's definitely a different sounding and feeling amp compared to the F-30, but it's really nice, and very easy to dial in good sounds.

Back