Is my Road King OK ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetoneman

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I made a mistake by connected hotplate backward to my Road King

so I connected amp to speaker out to Hotplate then speaker to

input amp,

it worked first then I noticed sound gets thin,
so I checked the connection
When I first turn on the amp it sounds very thin & has lot of gain,

after about 7 minutes tone gets fuller & kind of back to normal gain,

Is it because takes time to cook the tube or is it something wrong

with it ?

I only had it for about a month after I made mistakenly connected Hotplate backward, I don't know it doesn't sound the same on the clean

channel,

or is my honeymoon is over with this amp just like my other amps

Reversed like that, the amp did not have a proper load on it.....could have damaged the OT....

:?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Reversed like that, the amp did not have a proper load on it.....could have damaged the OT....

:?

Thanks but what is OT
if OT damages does it act like mind ?
Talking about the proper load Road King alway has dummy load
on speaker out B
you know there is about 6 speaker outs

The OT is one of the transformers. You may have damaged one of the power tubes as well, so I would suggest replacing the power tubes (the ones in use at the time) and seeing if your tone returns.

I'd replace power and rectifier tubes....there's no reason for the preamp tubes to ne hurt through this.

ToneAddictJon said:
The OT is one of the transformers. You may have damaged one of the power tubes as well, so I would suggest replacing the power tubes (the ones in use at the time) and seeing if your tone returns.

Thank you
I don't know see if it is OK
I connected hotplate on 6L6 I switched EL34 so is the rectifier
still don't get this tone of my dream
what happen if amp damaged
does it takes time to cook up & have strange gain tone when you turn up first time ?

was that written in english?

i'm sorry, i'm usually tolerant of most errors, but i seriously cant understand what the heck thetoneman is saying.

i would love to participate in this thread if i was able to understand the questions and responses

RJ2213 said:
was that written in english?

I'm sorry, I'm usually tolerant of most errors, but i seriously cant understand what the heck thetoneman is saying.

i would love to participate in this thread if i was able to understand the questions and responses

I'm sorry for my English
I'm just a guy who worry about my amp
I will thank the people that will tell me what happen when amp goes bad, does it change tone or is it normal to change tone after few minute

Definitely not normal to have your tone change like that. And your English is fine. Don't pay attention to anyone who gives you crap.

I would have thought the fuse would have let go. Do you get a pop now when you power the amp up? The load while improper may have damaged your power tubes by causing excess wear.

In the future if your sound is "thin," I recommend that you stop playing and check the amp immeditately.

The cost to retube a RK is not cheep.

Good luck.

I would have thought the fuse would have let go. Do you get a pop now when you power the amp up? The load while improper may have damaged your power tubes by causing excess wear.

In the future if your sound is "thin," I recommend that you stop playing and check the amp immeditately.

The cost to retube a RK is not cheep.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back