Is my Mark III supposed to be this noisy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fome

Reaction score
On the lead channel, it hums rather loudly, especially with master anywhere above 3. It's not my guitar, since I've rolled the volume all the way down, using two different guitars. It's not the outlet, because I've played at several locations. It's not the tubes, since I just replaced them all with a eurotubes kit. I don't want to take it to my amp tech anymore. They are only going to tell me that it's supposed to be that way.

Settings:
Volume 1: 9
Treble: 9 (pulled)
Mid: 2
Bass: 2
Lead gain: 7
Lead volume: 6
Presence: 2

Are these settings too harsh? I hope not, because I love the sound I have now.

i'm not sure, i played with it yesterday with the lead master 3-4 and the overall master at 5 and stood 10 feet away from it and it didn't hum or squeel any more than any other high gain amp.in fact it was very quiet. i'd try turning the volume knob to just under 7 and try it that way

having the treble on 9 with the pullshift is a BOATLOAD of high end. especially in an amp thats already pretty bright. try turning the treble down there, and boosting it on the GEQ. could be a bad ground in your guitar. does it hum if you turn it on with no cable plugged it?

another thing, i'm using an eh 12at7 in the pi, that may have helped the noise a bit

Schmoog said:
having the treble on 9 with the pullshift is a BOATLOAD of high end. especially in an amp thats already pretty bright. try turning the treble down there, and boosting it on the GEQ. could be a bad ground in your guitar. does it hum if you turn it on with no cable plugged it?

Does that mean that I'm suppose to hear a lot of noise with these settings? I mean, it does seem quieter when I lower it, but I really like the tone I get right now. I'm just wondering if all Mark III's would hum like this given the same settings.

Unfortunately, the amp itself is not at my house right now. But I don't think it's the guitar, since I played my friend's guitar through this amp and it still hummed.

it could be a number of things. it could be tubes. I know you replaced them, but the trick there is replace each preamp tube one at a time systematically with a KNOWN GOOD tube. note that doesnt = a NEW tube. I've had more brand new tubes that were noisy than I care to remember. It could be a cable somewhere. cheap cable will induce hum. Or it could be something more serious with the amp, maybe it needs a cap job, or a resistor somewhere blew. It's an old amp and these things don't last forever. I'd suggest taking it to an authorized mesa/boogie repair center and having them give it a once over

Latest posts

Back