Is it just me or is it tuff to solo through a triple rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankie_25

Reaction score
I love my triple for rhythm and all that. But my soloing abilities running straight through the amp suck. The notes are very shrill and short. Totally lacks sustain. Hammerons and pulloff licks become a major major chore. Now when i run through my Mac on garageband with my zakk wylde overdrive (that acts as my preamp) I can pull off all of Tremonti's stuff and some Petrucci stuff. This really confuses me.

I was looking into a gt-8 or gt-pro from Boss but it looks like you need a serial fx loop if you intend to keep ur preamps sounding that same which is definitely what I want. So I really don't know what direction to head in. Maybe just have someone wire a serial loop into my head and use the boss for effects with a little boost or something?

What can be done to make it a little easier to do some fluid runs through my triple rec? Thanks in advance for anyones help!

lankie_25 said:
I love my triple for rhythm and all that. But my soloing abilities running straight through the amp suck. The notes are very shrill and short. Totally lacks sustain. Hammerons and pulloff licks become a major major chore. Now when i run through my Mac on garageband with my zakk wylde overdrive (that acts as my preamp) I can pull off all of Tremonti's stuff and some Petrucci stuff. This really confuses me.

I was looking into a gt-8 or gt-pro from Boss but it looks like you need a serial fx loop if you intend to keep ur preamps sounding that same which is definitely what I want. So I really don't know what direction to head in. Maybe just have someone wire a serial loop into my head and use the boss for effects with a little boost or something?

What can be done to make it a little easier to do some fluid runs through my triple rec? Thanks in advance for anyones help!

Alot of people for soloing jus throw a OD pedal in front and put it on for that. I know that is what i do and it works fine.

Several people use an overdrive or EQ pedal of some sorts for solo's. I'm not one of those people, I love the boogie lead sound and I started out with a Triple recto. Several people swear by the ZW pedal while others love the Ibanez Tubescreamer. If you already have a ZW pedal, try that at a low gain setting to add a few more mids and a different tone for the solos.

I have two views on this post. 1st, some people (me being one) will agree to a point that the Rectifier series of amps are better at a high gain rhythm style playing than at soloing. Single notes (to me) just don't seem to bloom like those through a "boutique" style amp. Personally, I have found a compromise between a great rhythm tone and an OK lead tone ( thats on one channel). Now to the 2nd point, I would'nt recommend adding an overdrive or distortion to the mayhem! I would find a compromise within your amp and improve your playing with that. ****, for that fact you oughta try improving your soloing skills through a clean setting instead of masking your mistakes in distortion, you'll be happier in the long run! :eek:

I agree they sound kind of dull for lead. I use a Homebrew CPR also know as the Compressor retro. Really brings the amp to life. Does that for those "dull" sounding amps. No I'm not sponsored by them or sell them:)

Try using the tube rectifiers...really helps single notes sing (makes the cleans better too). If you find them too saggy/mushy for rhythm playing you could always throw a set of GZ34/5AR4's in there. A great middle ground between the diodes and the stock 5U4's.

I don't know if you use both channels 2 & 3 for rhythm, but I play my Dual Rec live and I use more mids and a little less gain with the vintage setting on channel two for lead/older metal stuff, and I use channel three for rhythm and modern metal stuff. I used to use an EQ pedal and even owned a ZW OD pedal, but I got away from all of that stuff and am just using a wah pedal and the amp. I think if you mess around with your settings and your EQ, you might be able to find a middle ground. I've owned my DR for over 3 years and I still am tweaking with things. I just like to keep it basic with the amp.

I've owned my Dual for a few weeks now and I am still struggling to find the perfect balance. That being said, I think a great lead tone is lurking somewhere in this amp just waiting to be unleashed.

Rather than relying strictly on my ears, I am going to try recording a bunch of different tones and then listen back. I'm going to record with full rhythm tracks (bass, drums, rhythm guitar) to see which tones stand out best for leads.

I had the same problem until i switch out my tubes to one of JJ's kits and i changed the recto tubes and put some JJ's in those to. I cut back on the gain a little and love what i hear on solos :eek:

socialparasite said:
I had the same problem until i switch out my tubes to one of JJ's kits and i changed the recto tubes and put some JJ's in those to. I cut back on the gain a little and love what i hear on solos :eek:

Yep, I just did the same thing. I'm currently trying the JJ KT88's and boy do they make a difference. It takes a bit more volume to get them to really sizzle, but it's worth it.

FWIW my experiments yesterday were totally enjoyable. As it turns out I found quite a few nice solo tones in the Dual. But the experimenting also showed me just how many great usable tones this amp has under it's belt.

Latest posts

Back