Is anyone using a attenuator thats worth a crap?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLBoogie

Reaction score
Does anyone use a attenuator that is really worth the price? I had a Marshall Powerbrake once and hated it but that was many years ago and hope better technology has come about. Have heard the THD models are not that great but don't really know.

I also tried a marshall Power Brake and I agree it sounded like crap. I use a THD Hotplate and I like it a lot. I don't think it changes the sound at all, other than the different characteristics you get from your amp at different attenuation settings. Also, I have heard good things about the Weber Mass Attenuators (but haven't tried one).

I like the THD HotPlate. Just be prepared to radically alter your eq settings to get your sound back once you turn the volume down.

I just bought a Tube Juice Max 50 from a fellow forumer for $60 and it should be here this week. I'll be using it with my Ace. I'll update on my thoughts as soon as it arrives. I've read good reviews on it. I couldn't bring myself to spend more than that on one. I wasn't really looking for one, but the price was too good to pass up.

I have a THD hotplate and it does not affect the sound in a negative way on -8db and less, however attenuators do affect amp dynamics. I choose to go without.

Best I ever tried (including the ones I've owned: Hot Plate, Bad Cat Leash, and Ultimate) was the Richter, on loan from a buddy. Hated to give it back to him. Problem is they don't make them anymore. The manufacturer has been promising the new version for awhile now, but so far hasn't delivered. Faustine Amps has a new one coming out after NAMM that has been getting rave reviews from those who have tried the prototype.

My go to these days is the Hot Plate.

stephen sawall said:
Fixxer6671 said:
Just make sure it can handle 100 watts... this means you need it rated at, at least 200 watts

What :?:

Do some research, and look into this. I am not an expert, but when looking into the Ultimate Attenuator he advises that if you are running a 100 watt amp, you need to purchase the 200 watt option.

From my personal experience with the Richter it get REALLY hot when running a Marshall Plexi at full tilt, in fact it started to smell a little.

So look into it and see what you can find, I am by no means an expert here.

With mesa's their MV's are fine.

stephen sawall said:
Fixxer6671 said:
Just make sure it can handle 100 watts... this means you need it rated at, at least 200 watts

What :?:

Most amps are rated at the onset of clipping, and when pushed into distortion (or as we like to say: Cranked!) can put out twice that rated power. So a 100-watt amp will put out up to 200 watts when wound up.

Take a 50-watt JMP Marshall for example. 50 watts, right? But its already putting out well over that by the time you even get the volume halfway up.

So what's the first we do when we hook up an attenuator? Dime it, of course, which means the attenuator better be rated double the amp.

And it does get confusing. The Richter says "100 Watts Max" on the back, and they mean an amp capable of producing 100 watts of power, which is just about any 50-watt amp out there.

Know I see. I know most 100 watters well put out about (180 watts or double).
I use a Hot Plate. This is already figured into the Hot Plates rating of 150 watts (does not need to be doubled).

cvansickle said:
I like the THD HotPlate. Just be prepared to radically alter your eq settings to get your sound back once you turn the volume down.

I believe this will be true no matter which attenuator you choose. I had the Mass or Mini Mass and I thought it was transparent. Used it for months and months thinking I was fine. But I never could figure out why I wasn't getting the tone I wanted on tape.

Then one day I forgot to hook it up, and turned on the geetar. Blasted my ears out cuz I had it cranked, but........

I realized immediately where the missing tone went......

stephen sawall said:
This is already figured into the Hot Plates rating of 150 watts (does not need to be doubled).

Hope you're right, or else...... :shock:

Weber is the same way as described above. I told him I had a 25 watt amp, he told me to get the 50 watt Mass. The attenuators are not typically rated the same way speakers are.

I have used it with my Sunn Model T (rated at 150 watt rms) with 4 - 6550 for a year before I sold it and have used it with my Stiletto Trident (also 150) for a few years. No problems at all. It is stated in the Hot Plate manual it is good up to 150 watts RMS. Andy Marshall told me it could take 180 but did not think this was a good idea.

Thanx :) - for looking out.

I liked my Z Airbrake more than the THD, but I was just using it as a master master volume, not "On ten at a whisper".

There is a new company that uses an old technology called Fluxtone Speakers that actually varies the strength of the speaker magnet from what I can tell and they claim that you can dime the amp and use it in the bedroom no problems http://www.fluxtone-speakers.com

Back