Interested in the Express Series.....so is it for me or not?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriskross179

Reaction score
My original plan was to get a Fender Blues Jr. to have around as a small clean/blues amp for open mic nights and then to get a DSL/TSL 2X12 setup as a rock amp for use in a band situation. After checking out the Express 5:50 head, it looks like it would eliminate the need for a small amp due to the 5 Watt power reduction switch, and I could get both a 1X12 and a 2X12 cab for it as opposed to having two completely different setups. Only problem.....I've seen some people complaining about the gain channel on this amp. That looks to be the only possible hangup.

Now about the gain issue.....I'm not necessarily after super scooped modern "nu metal" recto tones or anything extreme, I've always liked the Mark Series in terms of Mesa amps. As far as gain levels and saturation go, I'm more or less after something along the lines of a modded JCM800 in Marshall land or a Mark III/IV in Mesa land. At most, I'm more of a 90s alterna-pop/alternative type of guitarist. Green Day, Third Eye Blind, Stone Temple Pilots, Arctic Monkies, Foo Fighters, Fuel, older Our Lady Peace, Pearl Jam, Jimmy Eat World, Offspring, etc type of gain levels are what I tend to work with. In your oppinion, do you think it would work for me? Can somebody name some songs/bands that use similar gain levels that reflect the Express' capabilities so that I could use that for reference? There's a decent clip up on youtube, but it's basically a bunch of noodley lead work and doesn't give much of an idea in terms of how the amp works for rhythm and how heavy it can get.

Based on your criteria, I think the Express could work for you, only way to find out is to audition one.

Good luck.

Hey thanks for the response, it kills me that these things are so perfect on paper......but here's a random video on youtube that I came accross, not exactly a fan of the tone he's getting but the last half of the video gives an idea of what I'm looking at in terms of gain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deGgCuS7tJ4&mode=related&search=

You should be able to get those gains from an Express.

Have you thought about a Rectoverb? Really big, open cleans and plenty of useable Rectifier gain on tap. The Vintage and Raw options on Channel 2 provied a broad range of useable "under-the-top" overdrive. Can take either 6L6 or EL34 tubes. Mesa also dropped the price to $1,199. Very versatile amp. I loved my...until I got my Mark IV!

Sounds like it would work fine for your needs ... but demo, demo, demo. You also might consider just getting two 1X12 cabinets and spread them apart for better dispersion.

The Express should be fine for the tones you are looking for, but like others have said, try it first!

There is a 5:25 demo on GuitarPlayer magazine -- they did a video clip as part of a review in July.

Back