Information Overload... New Roadster user and questions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nateb

Reaction score
Ok, First of all. I will admit that I am a complete Tube noob. I have been playing solid state for the past 20+ years. I have used Crate, a 2101 rack (That has a tube =) ), Line 6 Vetta and POD lines. Well, it is pretty much cut and dry in those arena's. Things are as they seem and there isn't too many options for flexability.

So, I ordered a Roadster after a really bad Vetta II experience. I am at the tail end of the wait and have been researching amp switchers, midi switching system and the effects chain worked out. I got a oversized 4x12 rectifer cab and a 2x12 g-flex cabs all ready to hook up. I am almost set and all equipment is ready/purchased.

Now the question...

Pre/Power tubes and gain stage.

I am a metal freak. I like tone that resembles everything from Iron Maiden all the way to stuff like lamb of god, mystic prophecy... I tried out the Roadster dry in store and I liked what I heard... ALOT. But, I am just trying to squeeze as much as possible out of my purchase. I hear of people replacing tubes and getting a even better/tighter sound and alot of people are mentioning Tung Sol, and they have come highly recommended. What power tubes would be best for my tastes?

The second question I have is that I hear of people running a stomp infront as a booster. I want to keep everything in a rack as much as possible. Even if I have to build a rack box to throw a stomp box in it =). I hear a lot about maxon but, not how they are generally used in conjunction with the mesa distortion. How is the boost used along with the onboard distortion to provide the best results? Is this even necessary?

There is just so much information here that it is hard to determine which is geared towards my situation/tastes. Plus, it is hard to imagine tone from start to finish without having everything infront of you.

BTW, dig the board. It is very non-Harmony central attitude type place.

Thanks,

-Nate

I bought a Roadster today (getting it Tueday) and plan on using a Xotic BB Pre-amp infront of the amp for solos.

well Nate it seems that your going to have some set-up there. very nice Id bet. Im deffinatly not the biggest gear junkie out there and im sure many other people will help with suggestions also. This is a great board to learn about everything boogie. First off about tubes, both preamp and power. you can achieve different sounds, feel of play, but from my experience most tube changes are somewhat subtle. most of the time your not going to be able to change a tube and suddenly your mesa sounds exactly like some marshal or peavey or whatever. although you may find that for example you may achieve a bit more distortion or darkness or tightnness,more mids,more head room,and on and on with some new tubes. I dont want to write a novel here so I will leave that to others ,but my biggest suggestion to you would be go slow in your tube purchases,read these boards for a while and learn first. I was like you not too long ago and now Im the proud owner of five sets of power tubes and a couple dozen preamp tubes all for one amp.. I can only use one set at a time and I find that all are somewhat similar but also all have some good and some bad. Im swapping the **** things around so much I find myself messing around with them more than I should instead of playing the guitar...Not good. I cant speak too much for the pedals your talking about because Im not a pedal junkie thank god. Do yourself a big favor and just enjoy playing through your new amp. In time obviously you will learn about it and most likely you will find something you may want to achieve tone wise. At least then you could make a wise decision in your tube purchases. I believe you had mentioned you ordered a roadster, Im sure you must have played it at least once before.. Did it have enough distortion? Im sure it did. See my point?
Why change things around already? Take your time and just play that awsome set-up you've got yourself,,,,,,good luck

if you are into tight riffs, the only tubes i would recommend you change right now are the 5u4gb rectifier tubes. they're great for some slow melodic solos, but they squash your tone for fast riffs. instead, look into their brother, the 5u4g. these tubes will make the biggest immediate impact.

the rest comes with time and taste, i feel.

Hiya, I've got a triple rec, and did some tube experiments today. I posted it in the tube forum if you're interested! Personally I didn't get on with the Tung Sol's at all - but it might be a matter of trying them yourself. It's so difficult simply reading about tone!!

Why change things around already? Take your time and just play that awsome set-up you've got yourself..

Uhmm.... heheh sound advise... I pretty much got everything I need to do a whole lot of experimentation. (TC Electronics GMajor, Digitech 2101, Rane PE-15, PODXT Pro) I think I will take your advise and chill and not worry about being complete as soon as the stuff comes in.

You would be correct, I did try a Roadster over at Gelb music in Redwood City, CA. I also tried a Bogner Uberschall. I chose the Roadster because it is just extremely flexible and had a pretty **** good gain channel. The bogner was just unbelievable in the gain department, but it was more of a one trick pony(But, what a **** nice trick it did) whereas the Roadster had a pretty wide variety of tone.

-Nate

Back