I'm back... Roadster content!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbird

Reaction score
Yes, I'm back! Been absent (minded) for the last couple of years! Just acquired a Mesa Roadster in the 212 Combo format! It's only three months old! I traded my VHT/Fryette Deliverance Sixty Head with the Deliverance 212 cab for this Roadster! Before the Deliverance, I had a y2k two channel Dual Rec w/Recto 412, both covered in a Butterscotch Crocodile Embossed Leather! I'm glad to be back in the Mesa/PRS camp, as it prefers my style and direction! That Deliverance was/is a hell of an amp, but I do believe the more shredder type of lead player for whom I traded it to will benefit more than I could! I just really missed that crushing Mesa tone! What's really got me on this amp is the cleans and reverb! Wow! I will be working with channels 3 & 4 today to re-gain a crushing rhythm tone and a more liquid lead tone! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking the modern mode for rhythms and obviously the vintage mode for leads, but with the presence controls being the difference in the two channels, I was hoping for advice/input on what channels to assign these modes! Thanks Guys, Glad to be back!

i would say 3 for leads 4 for rythym the presence control is a beast in ch 4 so you can get those sizzling chunkas out of it but the presence is more mellow in channel 3 so you can tame your lead high notes as to no remove anyone's head with a 22nd fret bend.

Spewnz said:
i would say 3 for leads 4 for rythym the presence control is a beast in ch 4 so you can get those sizzling chunkas out of it but the presence is more mellow in channel 3 so you can tame your lead high notes as to no remove anyone's head with a 22nd fret bend.[/quote
So you do prefer the Vintage mode in 3 for leads, or would you run 3 in Modern with the lesser presence for leads?

I've had my RKII for 2 months, so obviously I have a lot of experimenting left to do, however at the moment:

Leads- channel 3, vintage mode. I tweak the bass/mid/treb a lot, but 90% of the time I have the presence all the way off.

Riffing/rhythm/melting faces off- channel 4, modern mode

I love channel 3 for leads, its so **** smooth when dialed in right (right changes a lot, I have tone knob ADD).
Sometimes (depending on what song we're playing) I will stay on channel 4 for a more screaming, in-your-face solo. I don't run my presence very high on channel 4 so I can safely do this :lol: !

I'm sure there are great sounds for lead and rhythm in BOTH channels but I haven't gotten that far yet. I've never played a Roadster, but I hear they kick ***...congrats on the amp!

So after a little time, I've got channel 4 in Modern face melt mode, I'd say mostly for rhythm, also fine for cutting leads! I've got my gain, treble, and presence in the 2 o'clock range...Ouch, mids and bass around 10-10:30! I've set channel 3 in Vintage with the treble also around 2 o'clock, mids really low, like 7:30, presence up high at 4:30, bass just past noon, the gain I can keep lower for an almost mimicked sound of channel 4 w/less gain, or crank the gain on 3 for a great lead sound! The cleans I just can't believe!

Back