II C+ shots

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of tony's replies he said he changed the 2 caps...I read it to mean the bias caps,and said there was no difference.Just clarifying that for him.I believe in changing the filters when they get old just to insure they dont blow up.I have always found that even if the amp didnt sound "bad",if the caps are around 10 yrs old there will be a noticable improvement in bass response.F&T's and LCR are brand names.The caps in question are both the grey and blue ones.But tony as someone pointed out already you have two similar amps but they are different.You may be able to get "more" out of the amp you feel isnt giving it up,but it may never sound exactly like the other one.

Yeah,you have two great sounding amps.Just live with the fact that they are different.

First off I'm really glad the guys like Boogiebabies and Stokes are here to help and guides us on this message board, they are awesome.

I have a Mark IIB, and the tone of my Mark IIB is greatly effected by the tube in VI. For instance a Mullard Ecc83 is beautiful chimey and harmonic,(my favorite) a EH 12ax7 sounds alot like your SC and a Telefunken Ecc83 is much deeper tone. Like your 60 watt model.
I record with this often and tube roll to get the tone I feel the recording needs.
So to sum up my response I wouldn't touch a thing on the amp but experiment with the V1 tube. Throw a Telefunken ecc83 in your SC and dial it in. Compare to a few others. This may help with your tone quest.....however that quest will never end.... at least it hasn't for me....

Dutchman,thanks for your kind words,you too tony.I couldnt agree with you more on your V1 observations.I find this is true with any amp,not just boogies.I have over 100 preamp tubes in my box and from one time to another I love them all for different reasons.NOS and current production.The same tube also acts differently in different circuits. I find that the tonal differences are a little more noticeable in the simpler Fender and Marshall type circuits,that dont have as much preamp over drive as the Mesa's.Another good place to experiment in the MKII's is the 3 & 4 positions for the lead channel.Like you say the quest will never end.

Latest posts

Back