Ibanez Universe VS. Earnie Ball Music Man JP7 - HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renzo1p

Reaction score
What's going on everyone??

I'm looking to buy a new 7 string before the end of the years. I will have $2,100 saved up by then. I have looked at a bunch of 7 string models and I have narrowed it down to these 2.

Which one do you recomend and why? They both cost the same new. Hope some people who have played these can help de decide.

Thank you very much! :)

PS:I play Prog/Power Metal

Both will cover the same ground. It is up to your ears and hands to decide.

For me, the deal breaker would be locking trem, or non-locking trem because I don't like non-locking floating trems.

But also for me, I don't like or use middle pickups, so I would choose neither the Universe nor the JP7.

I'd pick up a used or NOS RG7620.

But have fun looking.

edit:

Oh crap, I just remembered Suhr is coming out with a 7 string in 2009, so if you can wait and save up some more money...

Well, I do have a RG1527 which is pretty similar to the RG7620. I am looking for something a little more high end. I have also wondered about that non locking floating trem. Have you tried it? I have heard only good things about it. I hope it is easier to set up and change strings on it.

Also, have you tried to Middle pickup on the Universe? I have an RG550 and I love to use the middle single coil (I replaced the stock for a Dimarzio FS-1) for cleans.

I will definitely keep comparing because both have features I like. It's gonna be a hard choice to make.

Thanks you!

Oh, I see where you're coming from now. It makes perfect sense that those two guitars wound up as contenders.

The Universe has the middle pickup, but the JP7 has a comparable sound with that inner-coils wiring on the middle switch position, and a number of other similarities.

Or the way Rocky put it, both will cover the same ground.

Both guitars are very fine instruments. Ernie Ball is a company with excellent support and it's nice to be able to do business with domestic companies. Ibanez makes a great neck and I love the AANJ. I never thought much of changing strings on edge trems. I'd string it up with the ball ends at the tuning posts so it'd be just as easy as using locking tuners.

Yeah, it could be a hard decision.

If you're like me, playing them would answer the question almost immediately. Love it or hate it, I wouldn't come away unsure.

Rocky is right when he writes, it's up to your ears and hands.

ebmm makes far superior gear. id have to say those are my two fav. guitar companies at the moment. the jp6 i own is the best guitar ive ever felt. id say you cant go wrong but the jp is more right. its neck is better, the pickups are better, trem is better, you get piezo pups (yeah opinions...except the trem and piezo). when its close i just think about how ibanez puts out crap (korea), ebmm doesnt (usa) so you gotta look at the companies standards in a tie

Hey Fatoni!

That's true. I have already experienced Ibanez horrible customer service with my last RG1527. It was a real turn off for me. It does not make sense to buy new guitars from them if the warranty is so difficult to use. I heard great things about EBMM's customer service.

So far, the JP7 is winning by a little bit. Thank you guys for the input and let me know if there are other bands/custom shops I should check out. 8)

think of eb only having a custom shop without custom prices (a little cliche but its spot on). thats all they do, all of their guitars are made to the artists specs. the only ibanez that i will own are from the late 80s to mid 90s back when ibanez had something to prove. and as for customer service...i cant imagine any better than eb. the reps are on the forum nonstop along with the owner and even some artists. its cool to talk to steve lukather on a casual level. they take pride in their work and that makes the build quality, quality control customer service and sound top notch. do yourself a favor and get one. if any one ever says there are better guitars its prefrence not quality

unless your looking into a UVbk or UVpwh get the EB. the new Uni`s aren`t worth the new sticker price.this is comming from an Ibanez fan

fatoni said:
if any one ever says there are better guitars its prefrence not quality

Thats sounds like a great reason to try out both guitars and make a personal decision based on how well the guitars meet his demands and requirements.

I'm not sure if you mean clean as in without distortion or clean solo's, but when I played a JP6 at GC a while back, I thought the piezo in it sounded amazing.

If you're looking to pay a bit less for the guitar, there is a great looking JP7 in the classifieds on here (at the bottom of the main page, not the top).

They are both at the very top of the 7 string heap. Both are incredible guitars capable of doing more than you will likely ever ask of them.... In the end it comes down to playing each and seeing which feels better to YOU. Both have rock solid trems. Although, I too, am a fan of the locking trem.

Play them both and YOU decide. If I was spending 2 grand I wouldn't let someone on an internet forum spend the money for me.

keep in mind that locking trems are good when they work better than non locking ones...my jp feels way better and stays in tune better than both my edge and lopro trems.

i have an ibanez rg2027x, and i'd say go with the EBMM JP. I think the neck would be a bit more comfy, (im not into the ibanez flat wizard neck any more) i have an old RG as well, sounds great doesnt feel as great to me though.

anyway as far ease of setup, there should be much difference.. the ebmm you can leave the ball in and go through the trem, the floyds you cut, or as mentinoed feed the ball through the tuner.. both are floating trems though and are a pain to setup, since each string effects each other. personally i like eb's quality and feel a little more, plus it has the piezo (like my 7 string :) )

they are both artist sig models though, and have easy to access high frets, the tone will be different because of the pickups but they are both high end dimarzio. it really does come down to whchi is more comfy in your hands though.

Latest posts

Back