I was WRONG about MC90 and CL80

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentsp

Reaction score
The regional sales manger of Celestion told me in the past that the Black Shadow MC90s and the Celestion Classic Lead 80s were the same speaker only with a air vent which adds 10 more watts to the the power handeling.

Well I just got in some MC90s and put them in my Mesa 412. I have another Mesa 412 loaded with CL80s. I a/b'd them the other day with the same amp and guitar. They are similar but not exactly the same in tone.

With the MC90s in comparison the high end is smoother, mids are more pronounced and the bottom end is much tighter. CL80 is still a great speaker but they do not sound the same. I'd say the CL80 is definitely the closest speaker Celestion has to the MC90 but theres still a vast difference. Just thought it was interesting.

Brentsp

still recovering seeing the image of all those hi end amps you have :lol:

Did this Celestion sales manager say anything about "this is Celestion model that is supposed to sound 'American' [like a Jensen] with more power handling." ... ?

I thought I read is somewhere, not sure where though. :?

Brentsp said:
The regional sales manger of Celestion told me in the past that the Black Shadow MC90s and the Celestion Classic Lead 80s were the same speaker only with a air vent which adds 10 more watts to the the power handeling.

Seems as if that sales rep needs to take a class in electronics and ceramic manufacturing. There is NO way that an air vent is giving anything 10 more watts of power. Go with what you liked hearing, no sin against that!

RR said:
Brentsp

still recovering seeing the image of all those hi end amps you have :lol:

Did this Celestion sales manager say anything about "this is Celestion model that is supposed to sound 'American' [like a Jensen] with more power handling." ... ?

I thought I read is somewhere, not sure where though. :?

No I haven't heard that one. I've heard that its more of a high powered greenback but then they have the G12-65 for that and plus I don't hear any greenback qualities in the CL80.

Brentsp said:
... I've heard that its more of a high powered greenback but then they have the G12-65 for that and plus I don't hear any greenback qualities in the CL80.
Interest ... I did not realize Celestion re-issue the G12-65.

I remember owning Randall stack equip w/ G12-65 Celestions powered by my MarK II Colesium 300 Series. I resent selling the stack, uh, I mean I should have replaced all the G12-65 with G12-35 before selling the stack. (I still have the Colesium).

Then I'm on the Weber Site bulliten board many member claimed those original G12-65 Celestion was sought after. One member claimed that the magnet structure of some of design of Vintage 30 was from the G12-65.

Now I see Weber has a G12-65 model. (hitting my head against the wall)

Back