I own a Roadster, am I missing anything?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SimpleMind said:
Platypus said:
Have you played either of these amps? No amount of words on the internet mean anything unless you've heard these amps first hand.
Had the chance to play the Dual Rectifier. Tremendous rythm sound, way better than the s i found there. Lead tone: Wasn`t singing at all. The tone didn`t have any sustain, but that can maybe dealt with some stompboxes?

Yes and no.. that's the main reason I sold my DR, absolute crap lead tone without changing tubes or adding pedals. That's the same sound you'll find in the Roadster.. which is why we've been recommending the Stiletto or even a Mark IV for you. Your main influences you are trying to emulate are big lead players.

Yes and no.. that's the main reason I sold my DR, absolute crap lead tone without changing tubes or adding pedals. That's the same sound you'll find in the Roadster.. which is why we've been recommending the Stiletto or even a Mark IV for you. Your main influences you are trying to emulate are big lead players.[/quote]
Ok, thx for your help. One last thing: heard some Roadster soundclips here on the Boogie Board. Was very impressed of the lead tone to the tune "melodic" played with a Roadster. Singing, aggressive, ok definition.
Here is the link:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=431533

SimpleMind said:
Ok, thx for your help. One last thing: heard some Roadster soundclips here on the Boogie Board. Was very impressed of the lead tone to the tune "melodic" played with a Roadster. Singing, aggressive, ok definition.
Here is the link:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=431533

Hey, looks like You're norwegian - if so, trust a fellow svandinavian here, ok? :D Saying that the DR/Roadster/Roadking has "crappy lead" tones, as some here say, is a VERY subjective statement which I for sure do NOT agree with, so PLEASE try the amps if possible before making up Your mind.

Here's a RK clip where I play lead that I've posted i zillion times (maybe You've heard it already...someone stored it there - not my address) :

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/52660_01roadkingclips.mp3

and I also have lots of Roadking clips on myspace.com/grimmark

No pedals, compression or anything. Just guitar, amp and me.

Hei CJG,
thanks for the clip. Will listen to your myspace clips tomorrow. Very good playing, liked the sound of your amp too. By the way yes you are right: Norway/ Tromsø.

The Roadster lead tone on Fade to Black sounds very Harsh bought with tons of sustain. But TOO HARSH.

Mark IV all the way for lead tones!

barneyc4 said:
The Roadster lead tone on Fade to Black sounds very Harsh bought with tons of sustain. But TOO HARSH.

Mark IV all the way for lead tones!

sorry we took over your thread :lol:

screamingdaisy said:
You'll find that alot of Rectifier lead players use a Tubescreamer or similar OD set to low gain for some extra compression and sustain.

Yeah, but 75% or more of all guitarists probably use some sort of od/dist/or comp pedal when they step out for a lead no matter what kind of amp. I used one with my Mk IV for a lilltle bit of that "over the top" lead. I'll probably use one with my Stiletto.

You make it sound like some sort of deficiency in the recto lineage for using a pedal to maximize the lead tone.

Lol, no problem Platypus.

Yes, I just bought a new Traditional Slanted 4x12. I have it in my bedroom right now :oops: . I haven't been able to crank it too loud.

I guess its going to take a little longer for it to break in, but that doesn't really bother me much. I still enjoy the tones im getting.

lockbody said:
screamingdaisy said:
You'll find that alot of Rectifier lead players use a Tubescreamer or similar OD set to low gain for some extra compression and sustain.

Yeah, but 75% or more of all guitarists probably use some sort of od/dist/or comp pedal when they step out for a lead no matter what kind of amp. I used one with my Mk IV for a lilltle bit of that "over the top" lead. I'll probably use one with my Stiletto.

You make it sound like some sort of deficiency in the recto lineage for using a pedal to maximize the lead tone.

No I didn't... that's just what you read into it.

screamingdaisy said:
No I didn't... that's just what you read into it.

Sorry. :oops: Perhaps you are correct. I seem to be responding more to the "anti-recto" feel of some of the posts than your's directly.

Agree 100%..... some can argue it may not be the exact tone in your head... but there are some great lead tones in the roadster ..... and most of the great lead tones that have been associated to the "marshall" el34 sound still have lots of other components that make that sound.... whether its live or in the studio your malmsteins or petruccis of the world still have tons of compression, fx, and OD pedals sitting in the mix..... actually a lot of the great 80s lead players used the TS as their secret weapon for their leads.... so whether mesa or marshall or any other amp its hard to discern what amp produces or comes close to the lead tone in your head until you play them

^ +1 to that

I'm loving the roadster but I'm still having a bit of trouble getting a good lead tone. Sustain is my main problem - even when it's very loud (output and channel volumes at noon).

I was thinking of getting a TS or a compression pedal. I'm leaning more towards the compression pedal. When I'm playing rhythm and I want to add in a little lead lick there is a big drop in volume. I don't want to have to change to a lead channel every time I play a lick at the end of a verse or something.

I watched Dream Theater's "Score" DVD over the weekend, and Petrucci's tone is amazing. If he was using the Lonestar/Roadking rig, he had ne problems getting a great lead tone.

I attended one of his Mesa Boogie clinics nearly two years ago, and he said most of the he's using the "vintage" setting. He uses the "modern" setting for the heavy riffing.

I love my Stiletto Ace 112 Combo. I'm curious to try a Roadster, and hope to soon. I've also never tried a Mark IV. The Lonestar is awesome, but the lead channel didn't do it for me. For me, the Stiletto is perfect.

Latest posts

Back