I own a Roadster, am I missing anything?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
I own a Roadster and its my first Rectifier. I do find it to be a somewhat harsh, but I still like the tones im getting and I guess thats just the nature of the beast.

I am missing anything from the Dual or Tripple Rectifiers? If they sound more harsh then I won't even bother trying one out.

Rectifiers are supposed to sound harsh.... particularily if you stick your face right in front of the speakers.

If you want to smooth it out a bit install some JJ power tubes. If you want to smooth it out even further try some JJs in the preamp... just be careful, alot of people find all JJ in the preamp a little too dark/dull sounding.

Hei, you don`t sound exactly overenthusiastic about your sound? Maybe i am misconstruing. As you maybe read am i too on the verge of buying me a Roadster. My playingstyle is Timmons, Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, SRV, Metallica. Most of the Boogie forum members suggest the Stiletto for these styles. So i did call Mesa Boogie,the Mesa Boogie Hollywood store and asked to other salesman and one and each of them said the same: Take the Roadster its more versatile and better suited for that kind of playing style.
Would you agree or would you prefer the Stiletto?

For what you want to play, besides metallica, the stiletto is a much better amp for you. yes the roadster is more verstile, but trust me, if you have a sound in your head, and it sounds like them, more then likley you will be disappointed with the roadster.

SimpleMind said:
Hei, you don`t sound exactly overenthusiastic about your sound? Maybe i am misconstruing. As you maybe read am i too on the verge of buying me a Roadster. My playingstyle is Timmons, Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, SRV, Metallica. Most of the Boogie forum members suggest the Stiletto for these styles. So i did call Mesa Boogie,the Mesa Boogie Hollywood store and asked to other salesman and one and each of them said the same: Take the Roadster its more versatile and better suited for that kind of playing style.
Would you agree or would you prefer the Stiletto?

SimpleMind: I think all 39 of your posts have been asking the same question; just buy a stiletto already and be done with it.

Platypus, you are surely right with that. But i find it somehow strange that i consistently found the salespeople(+ the guy i talked to at Mesa Boogie) favorizing the Roadster while you guys here favourize exclusively the Stiletto for that kind of music. And i wasn`t talking to salespeople who didn`t have a clue about guitar playing but assured me of beeing active musicians themselves for many years.
So why is that in your opinion?

SimpleMind said:
Platypus, you are surely right with that. But i find it somehow strange that i consistently found the salespeople(+ the guy i talked to at Mesa Boogie) favorizing the Roadster while you guys here favourize exclusively the Stiletto for that kind of music. And i wasn`t talking to salespeople who didn`t have a clue about guitar playing but assured me of beeing active musicians themselves for many years.

Compare the cost of the two amplifiers and that is your answer. Salesmen want to make $ off you, we don't :)

Based on everything we've talked about, the Stiletto is the amp for you

SimpleMind said:

Timmons, Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, SRV, Metallica

I'd consider the Roadster for those.

Pretty much all of those guys use high gain, high headroom rigs.

The two reasons I could see for most people suggesting the Stiletto is that most of those guys are classic/80s rockers (something the Rectifier isn't) and the Rectifier traditionally doesn't have the most desirable lead tone, particularly for shredding (although Petrucci seems to do alright).

SRV being the oddball out used a Fender and a pair of a Tubescreamers, but if the Roadster has the Lonestar clean you'll probably be happy there too.

So, I suppose it depends on what you're after.

I considered that too. But the Stiletto Deuce is only marginally less expensive here(300 Euro) so i wouldn`t imagine that they earn THAT much more money when selling the Roadster compared to the Stiletto, unless the productioncosts for these two amps are approximately alike ?

I say the Stiletto because all of those people save for SRV use an EL34 power section and have great lead tone.. something the Roadster is not ideal for. The only saving grace would be the instance you mentioned with SRV and the Lonestar cleans.

Platypus said:
I say the Stiletto because all of those people save for SRV use an EL34 power section and have great lead tone.. something the Roadster is not ideal for. The only saving grace would be the instance you mentioned with SRV and the Lonestar cleans.
Mentioned the aspect with the EL 34 tubes to the Mesa Boogie guy and the answer was as following: There is a lot more to the sound of an amp than just the tubes.
With regard to good lead tones screamingdaisy has a point as for example Timmons uses the Lonestar Clean channel togeter with his Xotic BB preamp to get his leadtone. And after what i heard the Lonestar Clean is in the Roadster.
So as you can see not an easy decision after all. But thanks a lot for your tips.

SimpleMind said:
I considered that too. But the Stiletto Deuce is only marginally less expensive here(300 Euro) so i wouldn`t imagine that they earn THAT much more money when selling the Roadster compared to the Stiletto, unless the productioncosts for these two amps are approximately alike ?

The Mesa Hollywood guys have nothing to gain from you buying either or, so there advice is solid.

Aside from the extra clean channel there's not alot of tonal difference between the Roadster and a Dual Rectifier... if possible I'd try rocking one of them first to see if it's really the tone you're after. You can always stuff a set of EL34s in one after all... though it will change the character of the Lonestar type cleans.

Have you played either of these amps? No amount of words on the internet mean anything unless you've heard these amps first hand.

SimpleMind said:
Platypus said:
Mentioned the aspect with the EL 34 tubes to the Mesa Boogie guy and the answer was as following: There is a lot more to the sound of an amp than just the tubes.
With regard to good lead tones screamingdaisy has a point as for example Timmons uses the Lonestar Clean channel togeter with his Xotic BB preamp to get his leadtone. And after what i heard the Lonestar Clean is in the Roadster.
So as you can see not an easy decision after all. But thanks a lot for your tips.

He's exactly right, I can put EL34's in a Dual Rectifier but it still won't sound like a Marshall.... but that's my point, buy an amp that was designed around a specific tube type. The Dual Rectifier was built around 6L6's.

I love my Roadster. I really like the tones I get and I wouldn't think of selling it. I really like the recto tone, I just find it a little harsh, but I like it that way.

My favorite tone if all is David Gilmour's from Pink Floyd, but I have another rig for that.

My hard rock/metal tones are based on Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge), Godsmack and im ashamed to say it, but Nickelback is on the list too. I don't like their music much but their guitar tone is amazing.

barneyc4 said:
I love my Roadster. I really like the tones I get and I wouldn't think of selling it. I really like the recto tone, I just find it a little harsh, but I like it that way.

My favorite tone if all is David Gilmour's from Pink Floyd, but I have another rig for that.

My hard rock/metal tones are based on Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge), Godsmack and im ashamed to say it, but Nickelback is on the list too. I don't like their music much but their guitar tone is amazing.

They sound harsh when used on their own but much better in a band. That extra bit of harshness helps them to cut through the mix.

Simplemind, just get a Stiletto or Mark IV. If I were you, I would get an amp with a better lead tone than the Roadster. I like my lead tones to sound very smooth. I have never tried a Mark IV or Stiletto. Who knows, I might like the Mark IV more than the Roadster, but let me tell you that the Roadster is NOT a great amp for lead guitar.

screamingdaisy said:
barneyc4 said:

They sound harsh when used on their own but much better in a band. That extra bit of harshness helps them to cut through the mix.

I haven't tried it with a band yet. Im sure I will love it even more though. :D

Platypus said:
Have you played either of these amps? No amount of words on the internet mean anything unless you've heard these amps first hand.
Had the chance to play the Dual Rectifier. Tremendous rythm sound, way better than the s i found there. Lead tone: Wasn`t singing at all. The tone didn`t have any sustain, but that can maybe dealt with some stompboxes?

barneyc4 said:
Simplemind, just get a Stiletto or Mark IV. If I were you, I would get an amp with a better lead tone than the Roadster. I like my lead tones to sound very smooth. I have never tried a Mark IV or Stiletto. Who knows, I might like the Mark IV more than the Roadster, but let me tell you that the Roadster is NOT a great amp for lead guitar.
Thx for answering.

Latest posts

Back