I need an answer.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katsumura78

Reaction score
I have a digitech gnx multi effects unit and I hooked it up straight into my mark 4 with a 2x12 cab. I want to know if I can damage the speakers from using the drum samples in the unit while I play along with them. I feel stupid for asking but I just want to be sure. I didn't play it all that loud so I was just wondering. I doubt I'll do it again anyways.

Dave

No. You'll be fine, but it won't sound that great. Guitar speakers have a very limited bandwidth, so it will make samples and other wide-band signals sound like crap.

But it won't hurt anything.

Ya, what he said ^^^^ your speakers definately have limited bandwidth. It's kind of like when you strum your 6th string, let it ring, and then try and play high notes over the open low note, the speaker wont produce both sounds clearly, but you aren't in danger of hurting your speakers. Have fun!

Mizati20 said:
Ya, what he said ^^^^ your speakers definately have limited bandwidth. It's kind of like when you strum your 6th string, let it ring, and then try and play high notes over the open low note, the speaker wont produce both sounds clearly, but you aren't in danger of hurting your speakers. Have fun!

thats more of a distortion/preamp issue. If you did that test with a clean tone it would work just fine.

Thanks guys for the responses. It does sound bad and I like I said I most likely wont do it again because of that. I wont start another gmajor 4cable topic :p but it is what I'm going to try next.

Obviously you'd have to stick it in the loop, which would make it sound not that great for some other sounds.

sixtonoize said:
No. You'll be fine, but it won't sound that great. Guitar speakers have a very limited bandwidth, so it will make samples and other wide-band signals sound like crap.

But it won't hurt anything.

I'm curious if using different speakers in the cab -- not necessarily with a drum machine -- would improve the sound of the guitar? If guitar speakers have limited bandwidth, would using a full-range speaker be better suited for achieving say...harmonic tone in addition to the root tones?

Curious.

Latest posts

Back