I may get my Mark III modded to a III+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychodave

Reaction score
Since having the Mark IVa I have noticed that the Mark III blue stripe (Simul) has a bright top end and kinda buzzy/fizzy (not bad though). I was considering getting Mike B at Mesa to do his + mod as well as getting R2 volume mod and maybe the filter caps changed. After searching here som threads say that the Mark III+ mod makes the III smoother, gets rid of the top end buzz and make it sound "very" similar to a real IIC+. Should I even consider doing this? Thoughts/Opinions.

Nah. I'll take youre Blue Strip... :p Keep it original and get a real IIC+

I had the C+ mod done and it will definitely change the character of the amp for the better in my opinion. Mine started life as a blue stripe and then I sent it to Mike B and he did the + mod and the R2 mod. Here is my best description of the change:

R1...Gives the amp a more shimmery clean but not as clean as a Mark IV but you will notice it to be more pleasant than a stock III. I consider the III to be a fatter clean.

Lead Channel...the top end buzz is cut out and rounded off. This makes the amp feel smoother, especially in lead lines but it also makes the amp have a tad less apparent gain. The bottom end also has more chunk and ooomph behind it. I also feel that the amp became a bit more dynamic and touch sensitive overall but this could be due to Mike replacing some caps and cleaning up the amp and not necssarily the mod.

My overall opinion is that the + mod is completely worth it, especially if you are a lead player because this is where the mod shines by making the amp smoother and more dynamic. If you like the aggressivenes of the gain of the stock III then you may be a tad dissapointed with the mod.

Thanks for the replys.

I love the gain in the Mark III, but I never use it all...close, but not all. I wonder if Mike B can just smooth out the top end and keep the gain intact? I think I just need to call him 8) .

I compared my Mark3 blue stripe to a friend's 2C+ . I also recorded both amps by running each one into my CAA 2x12 cabinet and micing it with a AT atm29he

The 2C+ does sound smoother, more modern and has a different character mainly in the clean channel.

The Mark3 has more of a vintage, sharp treble . And the end result is that the 2C+ sounds cooler in the room but I believe that my Mark3 miced up better and cut a bit better in the mix whereas I had to add significant presence to the tracks I recorded with the 2C+

So if you want smoother, than definitely go for the 3C+ mod. Especially if you're going mainly for room sound

Paul Secondino said:
I compared my Mark3 blue stripe to a friend's 2C+ . I also recorded both amps by running each one into my CAA 2x12 cabinet and micing it with a AT atm29he

The 2C+ does sound smoother, more modern and has a different character mainly in the clean channel.

The Mark3 has more of a vintage, sharp treble . And the end result is that the 2C+ sounds cooler in the room but I believe that my Mark3 miced up better and cut a bit better in the mix whereas I had to add significant presence to the tracks I recorded with the 2C+

So if you want smoother, than definitely go for the 3C+ mod. Especially if you're going mainly for room sound

Any chance you can post the recordings or at least a portion of them with or without the full mix?

It would be great to listen to the differences as Im about to have my blue stripe shipped out to mesa this week for servicing and the c+/r2 mod

Subby32 said:
Paul Secondino said:

Any chance you can post the recordings or at least a portion of them with or without the full mix?

It would be great to listen to the differences as Im about to have my blue stripe shipped out to mesa this week for servicing and the c+/r2 mod

Here's my III Blue Stripe recorded stock a couple years back:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=23599

Now here is the same clip after the C+ mod:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=24165

The first recording has better production but hopefully you can tell the difference in the character of the amp.

ive heard both your clips before
they sound really good, i hope you can post some more soon

dream theater isnt so much my style so i was just hoping for some more diversity in the clips that paul recorded

Subby32 said:
Paul Secondino said:

I'm sorry but i don't have those particular clips anymore.

reo73 said:
Subby32 said:
Paul Secondino said:

Here's my III Blue Stripe recorded stock a couple years back:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=23599

Now here is the same clip after the C+ mod:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=24165

The first recording has better production but hopefully you can tell the difference in the character of the amp.

I find it difficult to actually determine if one is "better" than the other. The difference in treble can be cured by changing speakers...

I am still mixed on getting the mod done. I am rationalizing not doing it simply because I have the Mark IVa covering the smooth sound... so the Mark III is its "own" sound and gives me more versatility have 2 different sounds.

I would leave it alone if you already have your Mark IV covering what it can't. Besides, if you ever sell your Mark IV you can always still do the mod later.

Latest posts

Back