I have a DC3. Any need for a Maverick?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidE

Reaction score
I just bought a DC3 from a friend who needed cash. Seems like a nice amp after a short trial period.

I have an opportunity to trade for a Maverick in a wood cab. It doesn't appear to be a whole lot different from the DC3 I have plus it has fewer features. Any reason to get it?

DavidE said:
I just bought a DC3 from a friend who needed cash. Seems like a nice amp after a short trial period.

I have an opportunity to trade for a Maverick in a wood cab. It doesn't appear to be a whole lot different from the DC3 I have plus it has fewer features. Any reason to get it?

It is a totally different amp! Play through it, listen to the tones and then decide. Looks can be deceiving. You may still prefer the DC3 but try the Mav out and give it a chance. I love mine, would not trade it for a DC3 ever. And I like the DC3! Go to the mesa website -www.mesaboogie.com and download both manuals, you will see the difference in description. If you are a hard rock/metal tone player you will prefer the DC3 most likely. If you love a good Fender Deluxe Reverb or Vox AC15 you will want the Maverick. Good luck.

I can't try the Mav first as it's an internet kind of deal. I'd be trading a seriously upgraded strat for it. I'm more of an old school guy into old Marshalls, blackface Fenders and Vox. I don't play metal. I have a Bogner Shiva with EL34s that it just an amazing amp. I have a bunch of Fenders and some marshalls and I have a Hughes and Kettner amp for gigging since I do need some high gain sounds for modern stuff. But I wouldn't take a wood case Maverick out for many gigs anyway.

WhiteStratFront.jpg

WhiteStratSideTrussrodAdjust.jpg

WhiteStratFull.jpg

WhiteStratNeckPlate.jpg

WhiteStratFingerboardSide.jpg

Purty with that Warmoth neck on there! Stainless steel frets? If it isn't your favorite go ahead and swap, sounds like from your description the Maverick is right up your alley. One of the best clean channels ever on a Mesa. Distortion channel is a bit strange but I get some great tones out of it.

Yup, stainless steel frets.

It's probably the best strat I've ever owned, but I have some really good ones.

DavidE said:
What do you mean the distortion channel is strange?

It's hard to describe, other Mav owners say the same thing. I actually like some of the gain tones I can dial in on the clean channel better for leads. There is plenty of gain, the tone controls do their job but it is different than any other Mesa lead channel. My favorite setting for it so far is to turn up the Channel Master just below where noise starts to pipe in, which is around 1:30-2 o'clock. Then I turn the Tone knobs all the way down and squeak the Gain knob until I have a balance with the clean channel (Mav has an Output Level control to turn both channels up or down too). Depending on the guitar/pu choice, I dial my tone controls to taste, usually they stay pretty low - 9-10:30ish. Very touch sensitive, sort of clean but EVIL!! :D :D :D I like it a lot, use a pedal for over the top gain. The pedal works differently on the two channels so you get 4 sounds total. Life is good.

What do you think a Maverick in a maple/wicker cabinet is worth?

DavidE said:
What do you think a Maverick in a maple/wicker cabinet is worth?

They seem to be undervalued and may stay that way unless a rock star uses one. Which model? They made a long and short head, a short head 1-12 combo, a long head 2-12 combo and a long head 4-10 combo. Knowing Mesa, would not be surprised to see a 2-10 someday. Easy to tell the long head and the short head apart, the long head has the Fat/Bright switch and Channel switch on the front and no fan in the back. The short head has the two switches tucked away in the back left corner (which I like better, safer for flimsy micro switches), and a fan in between the rectifier tube and the output tubes. I have the 1-12 combo, I think they pretty much sound the same. A friend of mine bought a used 2-12 that had sat too long at Guitar Center for $599 but that was 2 years ago.

It's a 1x12 in a maple cabinet with wicker grill which I imagine adds to the value.

DavidE said:
It's a 1x12 in a maple cabinet with wicker grill which I imagine adds to the value.

Yes, I think you can refer to the mesa site and see what an option like that would run. Is it figured maple or plain? And the speaker? Mine came with a Black Shadow/Celestion V90 which is pretty good, better than the V30s that come in the 2-12. Not so fizzy sounding. I know, lots of details but everything has it's value. I look at Strats differently than you perhaps as I am a guitar tech. I built a nice custom Strat with Warmoth neck (maple board, SS frets, reverse headstock with Fender decal), Peavey Predator USA body in Lipstick Red, EMG pickups and Sperzel tuners including hardshell case for around $425. Took a few months as I scouted the best deals on ebay. I would trade it for the Mav in a heart beat and build another one. Your situation may be different. Maybe you should buy the amp and keep the guitar?

Non-figured maple and V30 which I happen to like a lot. Not necessarily with every amp, but I like the speaker with most.

It's difficult to figure the value of used parts-o-casters. This one has Fender parts that still go for big bucks parted out, fralins that ain't cheap and a very expensive warmoth neck. I'm thinking that I'm better off keeping the guitar and passing on the amp. I've owned a number of Mesas over the years and did not like several. They're definitely something I should play before I buy. I can probably find a regular old used Maverick head some day if I decide I need one. I have a ton of amps already, so I don't need another.

Latest posts

Back