I got my first Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemangone

Reaction score
I just bought a Mesa Rectoverb series 2.

It's my first ever tube amp.

There a lot of knobs that I am not familiar with.

I'm trying to get a tone similar to Avenged Sevenfold.
So it would be on the modern channel I'm pretty sure.

Could I get some help with how I should set the settings.

Congrats on the new amp! Check the amp settings database (link on the top right under the menu for the board on all forum index pages) for sample settings. The ones in the manual are a good place to start as well.

When I had my RoV I had it running as follows:

CH2 Modern
gain: 2:00
treble: 1:00
mids: noon
bass: 11:00
presence: 9:00

master and output wherever works for the volume you need. If you want Avenged tone then you'll need an OD to run in front to hit the preamp harder and tighten up that bottom end and add some bite...

You've picked one of Mesa's best amps for your first ever tube amp! Well done.

Get out the manual and learn how your new amp works.

Getting on here for other peoples settings is a cop out.

Learn how to get the tone you want.

A Rectoverb is a great amp!

I agree. Mesa does a great job with their owner manuals. You should find help solving some of the mystery behind those unfamiliar knobs.
I would say that trying the settings of other people is OK. Especially when you are just getting started with your first tube amp. You have to start somewhere. Then use what you have experienced and learned to get you where you want to be. Above all be patient.
This forum is a good place to frequent also. There are a lot great Mesa minds to tap into. 8)

Good luck and have fun!

I would second the folks that have recommended giving the Manual a good review.

My Roadster manual was very well done and very user friendly.

congrats on your new amp!!!

congrats I had the same amp and got some great sounds out of it, first thing get an eq into that loop it will work wonders, dont go much higher then 2 oclock on the gain and drop the mids keep bass and treble around noon. and you gonna need to put the master up around 9 to real get a taste of it. have fun

congrats on the amp.

I think reading the manual is good but also I think one of the best things to do is mess around a lot with each knob. Take the knobs from lowest to highest and hear what it does at every stage in between. Of course don't do this with your master output because you are going to hurt your ears but especially do this with the gain knob and also the treble, middle, and presence knobs. You would be surprised at what pretty cleans sounds you can get from the lead channel in vintage mode with the gain down and master up and also what cool crunchy sounds you can get from the clean with the gain up and the master down.

For a Avenged Sevenfold sound keep your bass around 11 oclock, your mids around the same, treble at around 1, gain at 1-3, presence at around 1 on the modern channel. I think that will give you some good results.

Congrats man! YOu are in for a good time. Your ears will thank you........well unless you turn it up too loud..........either way..... it's an awesome amp!

YES above all be paient with it. My buddy turned me on to Mesa's and told me that very statement. He knew I'd be ready to sell my triple a few weeks into my ownership.....and I was! But after some time tweaking, and more importantly for me, tubes, I have an amp I am more than happy with.

I agree with reading the Manual. Mesa has the best manuals around. For Avenged Sevenfols I'd recommend a couple of things...

1) EL34 tubes more mid rangy on a naturally mid scooped amp.
2) Keep the gain glose to 12. Use the power section to compress the sound. Since this is your 1st tube amp understand that to get to this level of compression your going to have to drive the volume.
3) Like JPMusicMan said...a good OD out front. I prefer the TS 808 RI. Little pricy but it really maintains the charachter of the amp. Dial the pedal as follows...gain 0, tone=12, level to parity.
4) It doesn't specify if you bought a combo or head. Either way a rectifier 2x12 or Stiletto 4x12 Straight will tighten everything up even more.

I know you just got the amp and seems like I'm saying buy more...but I have owned every extra piece of equipment mentioned. I have since moved on to another amp platform but still have OD and and 2x12 I bought with the Rectoverb.

Congrats, I'm sure this will only be the beginning of a long relationship with Mesa.

congrats!

reading the manual is very, VERY important. read it a couple of times, trust me.

enjoy your new MESA!

-PJ

I have the Mesa Rect-o-verb 1x12 combo.
It just had EL34s put in it before i bought it.

So I have messed with it for a while looking for that tight Avenged Sevenfold lead sound. Still haven't gotten it to sound like how I want.

So I have read that Overdrive pedals like the guy mentioned before would be good.

I think a Noise Suppressor might be good too because I get some feedback when I play, but that might just be my sloppy playing.

So would a Ts-9 or Ts-808 be good choices for an overdrive pedal?

and would it be a good idea to buy an ISP Decimator?

mikemangone said:
I have the Mesa Rect-o-verb 1x12 combo.
It just had EL34s put in it before i bought it.

So I have messed with it for a while looking for that tight Avenged Sevenfold lead sound. Still haven't gotten it to sound like how I want.

So I have read that Overdrive pedals like the guy mentioned before would be good.

I think a Noise Suppressor might be good too because I get some feedback when I play, but that might just be my sloppy playing.

So would a Ts-9 or Ts-808 be good choices for an overdrive pedal?

and would it be a good idea to buy an ISP Decimator?

i use a stock TS9 as a "clean boost" and it works fine for me. there's lots of good overdrive pedals... i think it's a matter of which one you like the best.

a good noise gate is also a plus. i run mine direct.

-PJ

Back