Humming in a 2C+. What could be the problem ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogie-boy

Reaction score
Hi !
I sold my MK2C+ yesterday to a guy that obviously needed it far more than me (I actually like my earlier Boogies better).

He picked it up and tried it at my place, and the amp was as quiet and nice as it has allways been. Today I recieved a mail form him telling there is a loud hum when the amp is on. The hum is tuned like an A he says.

It sounds like a ground problem to me. 50HZ is a#G, and that is not far from an A....

He says he tried it in different rooms in his house and the hum is still there where-ever he try.

It is a fully loaded one - minus reverb. European model with voltage switch.

Does anybody have a clue ?

Stian

It could be a grounding problem. There is a grounding switch in the back that has three positions. Normally it is in the center position. You can try the other two positions. If either of these work it is an issue with his house wiring. Also try switching the guitar cord which if faulty could cause the hum. Hope this helps.

Another thing you might try is to bring the amp back to your place and try it there as it was the last time you know it was working properly.

Blueracer said:
Another thing you might try is to bring the amp back to your place and try it there as it was the last time you know it was working properly.

Copy that, and since you got millions of boogies you can do some tube replacement to make sure it's not any tubes as well.

make sure he doesn't have anything connected in the FX loop, or stompboxes in front of the amp.
I get a noise when I connect a stompbox the wrong way in the fx loop.

You may already have thought of this, but good luck anyways, and if he doesn't want the amp, I could always use a third c+
:D

Single coils and some guitars in general are noisy, it could be. I've had an issue with noise where in one house everything was quiet and in another there was a loud annoying hum. Next time I'll try and find what note it was :D

Latest posts

Back