Hum on pickup positions 1, 3 & 5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommysboy

Reaction score
I have....
LSS
2007 Strat Single Coil

I'm hearing a hum (like a ground loop) from my LSS/Strat when my pickup position is at 1, 3 or 5. Positions 2 & 4 are fine.

Any idea what that could be from? I realize it could be a million things, but curious if anyone else has seen the same issue.

ummmm....going to go out on a limb here. It could be...maybe...probably...the fact that positions 1,3, &5 on a Strat are single coils and 2, 4 are hum cancelling middle positions. That *might* be it....just a guess.

edgarallanpoe said:
ummmm....going to go out on a limb here. It could be...maybe...probably...the fact that positions 1,3, &5 on a Strat are single coils and 2, 4 are hum cancelling middle positions. That *might* be it....just a guess.

What he said...

Thats why I cant play stock strats... the hum just bugs the $#(^ outta me.

I loaded mine with the Duncan lil 59 in the neck & a duck in the middle and a JB JR. in the bridge... no more hum!

edgarallanpoe said:

Thing is I wasn't getting it with my old amp. Maybe the LSS is better about bringing it out.

2 & 4 are hum canceling (combining the signal from 2 singles to create, in essence, a humbucker). 1, 3, & 5 - single coils, ergo, 60Hz hum.

Can't get around it.

It's exacerbated by dirty power, frequencies boosted at or around 60Hz, GAIN!!!, proximity of guitar to amp, guitar shielding, distortion pedals, wah pedals... Lots of stuff. Sorry, mate!

mommysboy said:
I have....
LSS
2007 Strat Single Coil

I'm hearing a hum (like a ground loop) from my LSS/Strat when my pickup position is at 1, 3 or 5. Positions 2 & 4 are fine.

Any idea what that could be from? I realize it could be a million things, but curious if anyone else has seen the same issue.

Everyone with single coils on a strat has that issue....welcome to the world of single coils.

If you want to kill the hum but some Kinmans or another quality hum killing single coil replacement.

AustinK said:
I almost thought this was a joke. but either way welcome to the world of single coils. :D

heh, thanks!

I only noticed the hum when I got my LSS yesterday. I usually play in 2 & 4 anyway :)

Try to move around... Noise sources are directional... Do you have any computer on the room?

I just recently wired in the single coil stock pick up in the bridge position of an 86 Squire Strat. I'd had a SD Hotrail in there for 10+ years. Exact same problem your experiencing. I thought I used the wrong solder but am pretty much getting the same advice. Basically "Deal with it."

Fortunately at the time the SD was installed I had a bypass toggle (ala Tom Morello) and can cut the guitar off. Nice in between songs.

breogan said:
Try to move around... Noise sources are directional... Do you have any computer on the room?

Yeah, I have a laptop in the room. Use it for recording so I can turn it off.

I'll try moving it away from the guitar/amp.

Thanks

Hum in 1, 3, and 5 ... hmmm .... is that it ?? or is it HUMMMMM ... LOL ! just kidding. You have stumbled (perhaps) onto the reason that Fender and others have modified pickup designs in the past few years.

I personally have 2 different types of SCs in my Strats ... #1 is an 06 HWY 1 that has the slightly hotter Alnico III pups - it is not noisy. #2 is an '02 Hwy 1 - it had 'noisy' alnico II pups. I researched various options and was about to invest in the Fender Vintage Noiseless.

Voila ! Lace Sensors. Quiet - toneful - and will get HOT. I have a red/silver/blue set. Many people I talked to also like a set of all Gold for a more vintage vibe. Other pickup Mfgs have good stuff too - I just have never tried it.

on my old tele, I put in a set of '52 RI and they cooked. Try changing the pickups.

rvschulz said:
Lace Sensors. Many people I talked to also like a set of all Gold for a more vintage vibe.
This is what I have in my Strat+. They're not totally silent but they are an improvment over standard Strat p/up's.

t0aj15 said:
rvschulz said:
Lace Sensors. Many people I talked to also like a set of all Gold for a more vintage vibe.
This is what I have in my Strat+. They're not totally silent but they are an improvment over standard Strat p/up's.
I understand some hardcore Strat people don't like these, but the SCNs in my US Dlx Strat are reeeaaaaalllly quiet. Really quiet. Ssshhhhhh.

John Suhr is the only one who has ever gotten rid of the 60Hz hum AND totally retained the whole tone of single-coil pickups. There are 2 versions - one that does a complete job but is installed only on his guitars under the pickguard. And this one - that we can all have :) :
http://suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx#bpssc

I have an old MIJ "60's reissue" strat with single coil pickups. It went from un-useable to not-too-bad by adjusting the pickups as high as possible - just below where they start causing problems with the sound. That way, you get the maximum signal-to-noise ratio.

I still mainly use positions 2 and 4, though. I have a very low tolerance for noise and prefer humbuckers for most applications.

the cause of the extra-hum is that single are hotter with more output than humbucker.

the reason why positions 2 and 4 are not buzzing is that usually the middle pick up in a strat runs out of phase.

that means the middle positions 2 and 4 actually are working like humbucking pickups.

the humbucker pick up gets rid of the buzz by running two coils out of phase, where one coil eliminates the buzz caused by the other.

i suggest to use e. g. scn strat pick ups like used in the hot rod series - absolutely noiseless and shielded.

PS of course the humbucker has two coils in series whereas the strat uses them out of phase in parallel (-;

Latest posts

Back