How to run a Mark V & Recto head into one 4x12 recto cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambomb

Reaction score
Ok, I would like to know first how and if I can run the Mark V and Recto head both in stereo in one Mesa 4x12 recto cab. Then I would like to know how to switch between both heads (one head playing through all 4 speakers, then switch to other head playing through all 4 speakers). Tonebone amp switcher?

Im a newbie when it comes to stereo setups and dual head setups.

I also have a G Major rack effects Im running through my Dual Recto head right now and would like to see if its possible to run the effects through both heads? I switch my channels on recto head and G Major effects with a FCB1010 MIDI foot controller now. I am expecting to get my Mark V headi n around Tuesday of next week and am just doing a little reserch on how stereo setups are ran with effects processors.

Long story short. I would really like to have the option of using just ONE 4x12 Recto cab to run both heads in stereo, switch between one head playing through the whole cab, and running my G Major rack effects through both heads at all times.

I know this is alot to drop just on one post but I LOVE the Boogie Board and always get great tips from pro gearheads that love to talk gear just as much as I do. Im in search for the tone in my head and have been searching for years! Almost got it down with the Dual Recto rhythm but cant wait to expand my tone with the Mark V head Im getting in around Tuesday! :) THANKS

ifailedshapes said:
Do you want the G Major to run stereo through both heads at once, or mono through one at a time?

I would like for the Gmajor to run stereo through both heads at the same time. But I would also like the option of playing through one head at a time too, Then both heads together.

So not only do you want to have your cake and eat it, too; you also want to have gratifying sex with the super hot baker who made it? ;) :mrgreen:

Ok, so see if this makes sense to you...

If you only plug cables into the left I/O of the G Major, all stereo effects will be summed mono. If you have cables plugged into left and right I/O, all effects will be split in stereo. Therefore, you can either have one set of stereo effects, or two sets of mono effects. If you have your second amp plugged into the right I/O, when you only use that amp, you'll only be receiving the information for the right side of the stereo spectrum, and that will sound pretty weird. I think you'd be better off running the G Major in mono, which would allow you to use one amp, the other amp, or both, with or without effects.

Clear as mud?

ifailedshapes said:
Ok, so see if this makes sense to you...

If you only plug cables into the left I/O of the G Major, all stereo effects will be summed mono. If you have cables plugged into left and right I/O, all effects will be split in stereo. Therefore, you can either have one set of stereo effects, or two sets of mono effects. If you have your second amp plugged into the right I/O, when you only use that amp, you'll only be receiving the information for the right side of the stereo spectrum, and that will sound pretty weird. I think you'd be better off running the G Major in mono, which would allow you to use one amp, the other amp, or both, with or without effects.

Clear as mud?

Yea that makes perfect sense. Thank u VERY much, I'll run the Gmajor like that.

Sweet! Now about the speakers, I don't know if it's possible to have both amps use all 4 speakers AND have both heads in stereo through the same cab. You could use a Tonebone Cabbone to use 1 cab with 2 heads, or you could split the cab in stereo and use one side per amp. Like I said, I am seriously interested in the exact same thing, except I want to use a Road King cab. If this was me wiring everything, I would put the Mark V through the open-back/C90 side and the Recto through the closed-back/V30 side.

i can offer nothing to this thread apart from i ran my mark v and recto into a rectifier 4x12 at the same time and it sounded like a monster :twisted: :twisted:

I don't think that this is specifically possible as far as each amp using the entire cab. Most Mesa cabs can be run in stereo, but all tube amps need to let the power out. You would need some kind of switching system that would allow for one amp to be going to the speakers while at the same time being an attenuator for the amp not being used (not sure this even exists). It would be far easier to just get an A/B pedal to switch between amps and run them in stereo in the same cab.

theroan said:
I don't think that this is specifically possible as far as each amp using the entire cab. Most Mesa cabs can be run in stereo, but all tube amps need to let the power out. You would need some kind of switching system that would allow for one amp to be going to the speakers while at the same time being an attenuator for the amp not being used (not sure this even exists). It would be far easier to just get an A/B pedal to switch between amps and run them in stereo in the same cab.

Myself and another poster recommended the Tonebone Cabbone. This product does exactly what the OP wants as far as sharing one cab between two amps.

ifailedshapes said:
theroan said:

Myself and another poster recommended the Tonebone Cabbone. This product does exactly what the OP wants as far as sharing one cab between two amps.

It wouldn't be a Cabbone it would be the Headbone. And I just talked to Mesa and they said I could run both heads in stereo through the two 4ohm stereo jacks on the Mesa 4x12 cab. I was pretty sure I could do that but didn't want any grould loop noise. But to swich heads I would have to get a pretty complicated switcher either from Voodoo Labs or Radial they said. I might just get the GCX ground control and the rack system. I hate to spend that much money, but for what I'm wanting to do.... run two heads stereo, switch to one head all 4 speakers, then other head all for speakers, then two heads stereo, and also switch amp channels at the same time. Its probably gonna take the GCX Ground control and the rack system. There are 8 loops on that thing I can use.

Does this sound like a good idea? Anybody else have a cheaper solution to what Im looking for? Thanks for the input from you guys so far!

Adambomb said:
ifailedshapes said:
theroan said:

It wouldn't be a Cabbone it would be the Headbone.

I seriously made that mistake twice? FML

There are always cheaper workarounds, but sometimes spending a little bit extra for something that is simple and guaranteed is worth it. The Voodoo Lab Ground Control setup is used by major touring bands - it's really proven itself. I think RJM products are simpler, though. Check out the RJM Music RG-16.

Latest posts

Back