How to Remove Spray Paint from Tolex DC-3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GD_NC

Reaction score
Thanks to the support and recommendations of the DC Cartel on this forum, I'm now the proud owner of a not-so-new DC-3. The amp is really in great shape with two small exceptions. 1. The previous owner spray painted his band's logo on the side with a stencil. 2. The handle is worn out.

So that leads me to my questions...

Anyone have a clue how to get a spray painted logo off of Tolex?

Where is the best place order a new handle?

So... Do I qualify for the Cartel?

Thanks!

The trick is going to be protecting the Tolex of course but there is a product called Goof Off that comes in a couple of strengths that will take paint off. You might try the lower strength, Goof Off 2 in an orange spray bottle, and put some on a piece of Tolex that won't matter if it melts. Get it at Home Depot, Lowes etc. You might start with rubbing alcohol too. If it's old paint it might come up with persistent work, old toothbrush could come in handy.

I just tried some Goof Off 2 on a piece of Tolex and it didn't melt it and after wiping it off it still looks normal but try a test first. Also wipe with a damp cloth to remove any residue once the paint is gone.

Disolve-it might work too. It's an orange oil based product.

I would pull the back bottom piece off and try it on the inside of that 1st though, just in case.

As for the handle, you could call Mesa and get one from them. It might be a little more, but I've found that most of my customers really like the fact that I use direct replacement parts instead of generic ones. :lol: Of course, they might all be made in the same factory for all I know! :lol:

Thanks for the tip. After searching the internet for a day I finally called Mesa this afternoon. Not only did they sell replacement handles, they sold the handle in individual parts down to the screws! It was only $15 including shipping. Not too bad.

I haven't had a chance to get to the store yet. I'll let you know what works on the paint.

Latest posts

Back