How to remove a leather corner w/o destroying it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GD_NC

Reaction score
Has anyone removed and reattached the leather corner protectors on a mesa cab? I have one ripped corner protector on my amp and want to salvage one from an old cab I have to replace it. Any advice?

GD_NC said:
Has anyone removed and reattached the leather corner protectors on a mesa cab? I have one ripped corner protector on my amp and want to salvage one from an old cab I have to replace it. Any advice?
You can get new ones from Mesa. They are pretty reasonably priced (but kind of a pain to install as they are not
pre stretched).

But in lieu of that find a small pry bar (mini pry bar) and slide it behind the corner and under each nail head.
Wiggle it to get it in and under the nail head. Start to Pry ever so slightly til you see the nail start to lift.
Once the head of the nail has lifted up enough take the bar out and put it on top of the leather and pry the nail out the rest of the way.

Thanks George! I'll give that a try. My old cab is shot so there is nothing to loose.

...and welcome back. :)

I think someone in Mesa told me to put the leather corner in water before installing it so it gets stretched.

igfraso said:
I think someone in Mesa told me to put the leather corner in water before installing it so it gets stretched.
Yes if they are new that is what is done.
It wont be necessary if he pulls an old one off one cab and puts it on another. The old one is already stretched.

Ok, so was able to do this but a learned a few things in the process. Posting these tips here for posterity...

#1 - GTS is right. Go find the smallest prybar they have in the hardware store. It's the right tool for the job.

#2 - If your cab is old, you are in great shape. The leather corners are held on with straight tacks. Easy to get out. No sweat. Just go slow and you can work them right out.

#3 - if you have a newer cab BEWARE. Somewhere around the late 90's Mesa changed to spiral nails instead of tacks. These little guys put up one hell of a fight. I had to put a thin piece of wood under the prybar and use a hammer to force it under the nail. You have to use a ton of force to get them to budge. I'm glad this was the bottom/back corner of my amp. I thought I was going pull a chunk of wood out with each nail. You have to be very careful not to damage the tolex and the underlying plywood. As far as I can tell, it would be virtually impossible to remove these nails without completely destroying the leather corner. The damaged one I was removing came off in about 5 pieces.

To figure out what you are getting into...

The old-style Tacks are black with flat oblong heads

The Spiral Nails are silver or black with dome-shaped round heads.

Tack puller. Pulled the tacks on a Stiletto no problem.

wywR346ArQ6sQDndM5XN-DulNETh82rtgMYYfuIQdRLguWoNvYRHjHzbHNtk5Hh0gZSYO3voIlq1dhp1XMeKe8g_zYcM2mDnBX-DNMlVEFjVANmqwyLxtQt-4Kbk8mIuzwfi3OkcdCfsGtwR6SXj8kE1-YDiFG3ev301oDsxYw

Yeah I almost mentioned they might be spiral nails versus tacks.

Another option if spiral nails were used.

Once you get the head of one of the nails up off the Leather corners you could also try grabbing the nail head with a pair of pliers.
Then twist (counterclockwise /unscrewing) and pull the spiral nail to get it out.

ochrisl said:
Tack puller. Pulled the tacks on a Stiletto no problem.

wywR346ArQ6sQDndM5XN-DulNETh82rtgMYYfuIQdRLguWoNvYRHjHzbHNtk5Hh0gZSYO3voIlq1dhp1XMeKe8g_zYcM2mDnBX-DNMlVEFjVANmqwyLxtQt-4Kbk8mIuzwfi3OkcdCfsGtwR6SXj8kE1-YDiFG3ev301oDsxYw

Yep, I looked for one of those but they didn't have it at my local store. Probably would have helped.

Back