How many diffenent Versions of the Mk2 b?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When is was ordering tubes from Euro Tube I notice they didn't offer mk2b packages like they do for the Mk1, 3 & 4. When I emailed them I was told that there was over 20 versions/configuration of the mr2b.

Is that true, 20?

How does that compair to other Mark Series?

I guess if you add them up there are many versions.

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/MarkIIB.html

Mark IIB 1X12: 5575-11000 = 5426 Mark IIB
Mark IIB 1X15: B550-1100 = 550 Mark IIB
Mark IIB Series 300: K001 to K336 = 336 Series 300 Mark IIB
August 1980 to May 1983 = 5212 Mark IIB's

Call Mesa with the serial number and they will tell you what it needs.

I recall that, when you ask Mesa about II-B mods, they ask for the serial number. If it is above 7,000 or 8,000 (I cannot remember the cutoff) the EQ addition is more expensive than if the S/N is lower than that.

Does it mean that those are different versions?

I am a tech and have worked on more than a few IIB's (mostly the ones I have owned). There is a serial number near the mid 8000's I believe where the circuit changed. There were little tweaks along the way through the whole IIB series but there was definitely a change in the 8000 area. Mike B told me a more precise number but I do not remember it. I never opened up a Coliseum model so I cannot say. The 60/100w 1x15 version is the same circuit as the head and 1x12. I do not think there are 20 versions circuit wise. I can tell you that the pre circuit change IIB's use a different tube configuration than the post change. Some 12At7's instead of 12AX7's. I hope this helps. I would just tell the sales person at euro tubes the ones you need individually. Check the chassis for the markings. Have fun!!

thanks

Just go my tubes from Euro Tube, and what a differnce. I haven't had a chance to really crank it up yet (7 month old daughter, and a very dirty look from the 28 yr old wife when I tried). I did get a bit a noise from on of the channels, I think it is just dirty tube sockets. Looks like the preamp tubes have never been changed. I'm going to stop at Radio Shack and by some contact cleaner.

I went for the early breakup 6L6, and a balanced 12ax7 for the PI.

I still need to do the caps, but the a much tighter sound than before.

Thanks

Yeah, clean the sockets. Also I notice some noise from brand new tubes until the "burn in". There are gasses left over from manufacturing and after using them for a while they quiet down. I would guess around 48 hours or so, sometimes less. Try the socket cleaning first, then play that amp!!

Latest posts

Back