how long is your guitar cable? brand? share pls

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lava ELC 12' between guitar and board, then another 20' Lava ELC from board to amp.

Sometimes I'll use a Mogami 15' between the guitar and board. I also have a few 18' DiMarzios.

All my cables, except the DiMarzios, have Neutrik silent connectors on at least one end. These are very handy.

I use two 30' Planet Waves with the gold tips. One from my guitar to my pedals, and one from my pedals to my amp.

Why 30'? Because I like to go to the fridge and grab a beer when I'm practicing, and taking my guitar off is too much work :lol: That, and those were the only ones I could find at the time. But I know that I can move across the stage and not worry about having too short of a cable.

When I play live, I use a wireless, and the cables go from my wireless to my pedals and back to the amp, so I can move my pedals a fair distance from my amp if needed.

I've used (just about) it all. Evidence, Canare, George L's, Monster, VDH. My favorite is still Mogami 2524. I try not to run any more than 15ft without a buffer. It's tough to decide what is 'best' when some cable is so expensive that your psyche MAKES you love it.

But 2524 is my fave. Just gotta be careful when terminating it or you can get partial short in the cable. Evidence Siren II for speaker cable is great!!!

You guys should check out lava cable's website they tell a lot. The Lava elc's have the lowest capacitance of any cable which is what causes your signal to sound muddier (aka less highs) at long lengths. They say that capacitance isn't the only factor you should consider when buying cables though and that the type of conductor and how thick the gauge is plays a factor. I think they mentioned on their site that 20 feet is enough to hear the drop in high frequencies. I'm not sure maybe it was 40... According to LAVA though the van den hul inspiration hybrids are the best.

Check this out http://www.lavacable.com/cable_101.htm

I use Monster Cable "Rock" 21ft. - Incredibly transparent sound and reliability!

I've got a planet waves 20 footer that's been going for a few years

I'll use anything but Spetroflex, those are horrible. I usually buy no shorter than 15 feet.

I'm going wireless soon!

If you have a 10 foot cable + a true passive pedal (wah) + a 20 foot cable, are you getting loss?

this months Guitar Player magazine has a rundown on cables ranginig from $6 to over $150. pretty in depth testing. FWIW check it out.

So I had an interesting day at the guitar store. I asked the guy working there "so I have a true-bypass wah infront of my amp with a 20 foot and a 10 foot cable. Am I getting tone loss?

Well his answer was "Are you using monster cables?" To which I said no. He then described how Monster cables have some sort of "phase something something" that makes your amp sound better than any other cable in the world. I was almost expecting him to say they used black magic to create them out of the spines of demons.

I tried looking at the monster site quickly and didn't see anything about the phase-whatever thing they do. The site seems to almost make it sound like you should just buy monster cables instead of buying an EQ.

The new issue of Guitar Player has a great article on cables.

Back