How important IS Pin 2 in C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kippiejr

Reaction score
Ok amp guru's
My C+ was just not doing it for me lately so I changed all preamp tubes and it was about they same, then changed the EL34 outer 2 sockets and it sounded a bit better. Wanted to go back to the 416's and when pulling the V1 power tube, out came Pin 2 sleeve still attached to the tube.
Great.... So I cracked it open and Pin 2 sleeve was split in two. Half on the tube and half in the chassis. The top of sleeve is soldiered directly to the board. I know repair time,,.....

Question: Did it just break when I took the tube out or was it half cocked or ??? What is Pin 2 function? Would the tube be influencing tone if that was not making connection or signal jumping the crack or 50/50.. Would I hear if Pin 2 was DOA..

Enquiry minds want to know....?

Pin 2 is one of the heater connections. Did you happen to notice if that tube was lighting up?

If the amp was weaker than normal and distorted in an unusual way, it could've been that way for a while. Push/pull amps have been known to run with a broken or even missing tube.

In fact, some early rock and roll is said to have been recorded this way- by mistake and on purpose.

Tube was heating up. I repaired it last night and will give hear a listen. But the entire tone was just missing that C+ mojo. It kind of reminded me of a Mark III.. Not bad,, just no C+. I plugged in a few C+'s after and right away I got that feeling something is up with that amp.

With some chance I was able to solder the pin parts back together. Tube registered 35 mA and amp sounded right!

Latest posts

Back