How good are the cleans on the Ace??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I play my ace with my ASAT classic, IMHO the cleans are killer. Now they're not twin reverb clean, but they have a touch of tough bite to them. But if you want sparkle, mmm... I'd say, not Fender sparkle, but cutting, tight and very nice.

If there's a store near by that has one, try this:

Ch1, crunch, dime the main vol and turn up the gain to the vol you need to play at. Set the EQ's about mid and work with the presence. Non-varic, normal power on diode. That's as sharp as it gets! At least for me.

The first 2 settings on ch1 are supposed to be cleaner, but they're a bit tame for me. (they're supposed to be).

If I use my Strat, the same settings for ch1 crunch give me a killer Robert Cray type of strat tone. I just got a Fender reverb unit for it, but my Strat is still getting CS 69 pups put in it, so we'll see on Monday.

I'd say for country, yes - modern country with a bit of that bite.
It has "take this to the studio sound"!

My 2 cents.

- dstefani

Tite Clean and Crunch Clean are excellent. Tite Clean gets a nice, sparkly bite with shimmer. Crunch is tough and and aggressive, but cleans up great when you roll your guitar's volume back.

I'll tell you, if all I had was Clean Crunch and my pedalboard, I would still gush over this amp. The other five settings make it just that much sweeter!

To my ears the cleans on the Ace sound more along the lines of the RK I cleans....

Definitely, the ACE is not a "Country" amp in the cleans dept.

Just my .02

i play in a country band i use a lss 2x12 and have my speakers plugged into the optional input it gives it more of a puncher sound.great cleans if you are using a tele or strat. the 2x12 gives more air and it is plenty loud enough for bars.

dstefani said:
I play my ace with my ASAT classic, IMHO the cleans are killer. Now they're not twin reverb clean, but they have a touch of tough bite to them. But if you want sparkle, mmm... I'd say, not Fender sparkle, but cutting, tight and very nice.

This is an excellent description of the cleans on the Ace..
I took one home before I decided on the Lonestar Classic...

The cleans on the Ace are like "tough love"....
they have an edge to 'em... which was a little too rough for my purposes..
Though it's a workable clean,
they don't have that Fender chime or what I call spank to them...
Something which the Lonestar has in spades...

I can see why people like SRV played both a Fender and a Marshall at the same time, they both have a clean that kills but are very different.

Ones kind of pretty and the other is impenetrable.

The Ace is more on the impenetrable (plexi).

I had a JMP100 for some time and it had a clean that would stand out in a crowd! Yet most people don't play a Marshall for it's cleans, at least not by itself.

But I think adding this to the other comments posted you may get a pretty good idea of where the Ace is at for cleans.

:idea: I'm going to have to Y split my Ace with my 67 Super soon. I think I've been avoiding the volume! :shock:

For an EL34 amp the cleans are killer but I totally agree with dstefani.. they've got a bite to them. The fat clean mode kind of lessens that blow but you lose a bit of the spank in this setting. For country, you'd want to stay on tite clean (i use the solo control to boost the volume a bit on this setting just below breakup so I can use my guitar volume to dictate the clip)

We're not talking AC30 or lonestar cleans here for country but a **** usable clean tone indeed... it's leaps and bounds above rectifier cleans.

Thanks guys!!

I've got a Roadster, but the Ace has a tone to it that I'm missing in the Roadster (was almost there in the Road King series I) on the Brit mode. I find that I used that mode more than I realized. I then heard how heavy the Ace can sound too, pretty sweet sounding amp!

I don't know, I do this every once in a while.... I'll probably keep the Roadster, but I'm just curious. I'd LOVE to try one out though just to be sure :wink:

Go check one out, you'll be impressed!

bring that gorgeous paisley axe of yours and a cord, that's all you'll need 8)

If your into using your Tele for good ol' rock n roll, my ASAT with the Ace on Ch2 crunch a bit saturated gets me a KILLER black crows tele in a Marshall. I love it.

- dstefani

Update,

The guitar flavor of the month is my G&L ASAT classic.
So thinking about this thread, I put the ace on ch1 crunch and dimed the volume and started turning up the gain slowly. I had the treble about 12:00, mids about 9:00 and the bass about 4:00 (hmm, like the bass).

I was playing pretty loud and it really didn't break up that much at all.
Clean like... like clean. ;-)

What was cool, by mixing the the gain and volume, you can keep it almost totally clean, but with just the amount of break up you want. Very detailed.

I've become a real Idaho truck drivin' man, listenin' to the country station while crusin' the valley. The Ace is right there. Poppin' every note you play, better play good! ;-) Everyone's gonna hear it!

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in.

See ya'

- dstefani

I played an ACE today in my local dealer along side the LSC and LSS. The ace had some nice cleans, alon the lines of ealry beatles. Very high end-y. The LSA and LSC are more of of a Fender clean sound, although not as good IMO.

Some killer heavy tones outa the ACE though.

i'm very satisfied with the ace cleans. with p90s, in the fat clean mode, they are warm, thick, and smooth, with a slight touch of glassiness

zappaslaughter said:
The LSA and LSC are more of of a Fender clean sound, although not as good IMO.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

yeh,I dont own an ace but have played one with my tele,It was sweet,I could pull everything from albert lee spanks too ac/dc rumbles,the clean isnt really as piercing as a fender twin but is a little warmer I found,a tone all of its own but up there with the big dogs(ac's and twins as well as marshalls).I aslo see why greats like SRV and Eric Johnson use both fenders and marshalls,get some diffrent dimensions for the cleans and leads,still I prefered the clean on my nomad to it.I really love the clean on that amp,no offence to anyone

Latest posts

Back